DO CABLES REALLY MATTER?

Yes they do.  I’m not here to advocate for any particular brand but I’ve heard a lot and they do matter. High Fidelity reveal cables, Kubala Sosna Elation and Clarity Cable Natural. I’m having a listening session where all of them is doing a great job. I’ve had cables that were cheaper in my system but a nicely priced cable that matches your system is a must.  I’m not here to argue what I’m not hearing because I have a pretty good ear.  I’m enjoying these three brands today and each is presenting the music differently but very nicely. Those who say cables don’t matter. Get your ears checked.  I have a system that’s worth about 30 to 35k retail.  Now all of these brands are above 1k and up but they really are performing! What are your thoughts. 
calvinj
chenman
Who is to say that confirmation bias is not at work either? Someone spends $500 on a cable because they believe it will enhance the sonic performance of their system is going to be psychologically pre-disposed to hearing it. There is no way around that. How much so is up for debate?

>>>>The arguments regarding confirmation bias, placebo effect and other psychological phenomena are the “weapons of mass destruction” of died-in-the-wool pseudo skeptics. No one is saying psychological issues never occur, but they don’t always occur. They can be controlled through careful testing by skilled listeners, I.e., audiophiles. It might not be easy. I never promised you a rose garden. 🌹Therefore, that particular argument is a logical fallacy. 😢 By the way, you could make your argument a whole lot stronger and more believable by other undecideds and newbies if you used $5000 instead of $500. 😬
For the purpose of distinguishing sounds, "skilled listener" is anyone who has had intact hearing for at least some time. Most have it from birth. Therefore, if a random group of people picked from the street cannot hear differences in sound, there is a decent chance that differences do not exist. More structured and controlled studies may be needed to support that observation with any acceptable certainty.
"...you could make your argument a whole lot stronger and more believable by other undecideds and newbies if you used $5000 instead of $500."

$500 is plenty for a wire with two connectors when functionally similar, if not same, can be had for $10-20-30. Most of the people with decent income would agree to that, raising a question if sonic quality gain is worth the difference in price. That is not to say there is no place for pricier cables under the sun, but that $500 is not cheap and it makes a good example for undecided, newbies, and curious. They would not even consider $5000 cable and are ten times more likely to try a $500 one. This one, I am speaking from experience and it may be, as nonoise said, my projection.

chemman,

I wish I could write about my views of this topic in a short and simple way. However, I do not need to do it as you have just done it in your previous post addressed to me. I can only sign it, sort of. To the letter, even the part about thinking of borrowing some cables to try what it is all about.

glupson"$500 is plenty for a wire with two connectors when functionally similar, if not same, can be had for $10-20-30. Most of the people with decent income would agree to that, raising a question if sonic quality gain is worth the difference in price. That is not to say there is no place for pricier cables under the sun, but that $500 is not cheap"

$500USD is indeed relatively cheap for wire primarily intended for high performance audio purposes that would include connectors and you're statement that most people would agree with you is without doubt a reflection of your circle of acquaintances which is not typical or representative of the  universe of audiophiles in general and I have never seen $10 wire and connectors that are the practical, functional and equivalent performance, quality, and specification of more proper audio cables so you are clouded by your lack of experience, knowledge, and familiarity with the topic under discussion here.