DO CABLES REALLY MATTER?

Yes they do.  I’m not here to advocate for any particular brand but I’ve heard a lot and they do matter. High Fidelity reveal cables, Kubala Sosna Elation and Clarity Cable Natural. I’m having a listening session where all of them is doing a great job. I’ve had cables that were cheaper in my system but a nicely priced cable that matches your system is a must.  I’m not here to argue what I’m not hearing because I have a pretty good ear.  I’m enjoying these three brands today and each is presenting the music differently but very nicely. Those who say cables don’t matter. Get your ears checked.  I have a system that’s worth about 30 to 35k retail.  Now all of these brands are above 1k and up but they really are performing! What are your thoughts. 
calvinj
I suspect that some, probably not all, of the buyers fall in the similar category. They want finishing touches to their equipment, a final stroke they may feel is missing. Something that, at least in their minds, matches the rest of their system. It does take some sheepish courage to admit you fell for the looks and that is where some of the bias may come from.
I suspect that you're prone to projection, at least in this case.

All the best,
Nonoise

geoffkait,

"Glupson, I didn’t say they were comfortable. I said they sounded bad."

You misunderstood me. I neither said, nor implied you said the IKEA chairs were comfortable. As chairs are primarily used for sitting and not changing the sound in the room, I did an usual mistake people make when watching the picture of the chair. I thought of how comfortable it would be. Your mentioning of stuffing in chairs being intolerable to you, enforced my opinion the chair may be uncomfortable. Stuffing in IKEA chairs is placed there for comfort purposes.

While we are at that, could you copy and post the part of your earlier thread you are referring to, in which you said "they sounded bad", so we can read it again? It may be hidden well-enough in your post that no Reading 101 would help. It may call for Writing 101, though.

nonoise,

I suspect that you're prone to projection, at least in this case.

You are definitely right about that one.

At the same time, sides here are so fierce about their beliefs that no logic will settle it and, so far, I am the only one who raised the issue of the appearance as being important. If appearance were completely unimportant, many cables would look much more mundane.

People often buy cars based on the outside appearance while they never look at it that way while using it. It should not be inconceivable that appearance of the cables has some, maybe minor, influence in the buying decision. Some marketing and psychology professionals probably wrote books and books about it. Think of the second generation Suzuki Hayabusa design. Influenced and made to somehow resemble, among other things, the average/usual rider of that motorcycle shape. I am not saying that cable manufacturers think all their buyers are super-skinny, but they certainly do think about the visual presentation.

Glupson,

I can see your viewpoint as a starting off of sorts, to those of us who've racked up some years in this hobby. Looks were important to me as a beginner as well but I've gotten over that a long time ago. Now I just rely on my ears, looks be damned.  😄

All the best,
Nonoise
glupson, are you posting drunk again? I said the Ikea Poang Chair contained foam similar to Sonex. I just realized you probably have no idea what Sonex is or why I would find it objectionable. I suppose that’s the risk one takes when dealing with clean slates. Never mind.....

I’m standing by for some more of your bright what about this? what about that? routines.