YG Acoustics, Raihdo?

why no love for YG Acoustics and Raihdo ?
too expensive?
128x128mboldda1

I have not heard any YG speakers, but I auditioned a couple Raidho monitors.   Best ribbon tweeter integration I've ever experienced (I don't know if I've ever liked another dynamic speaker with a ribbon tweeter because I always hear a discontinuity).
Detail was as advertised, super fine, but smooth.  And the monitors sounded big, and punched hard for their weight.
Problem was I found myself too aware of the lack of neutrality, the frequency dip they engineer in to their speakers for the further-seat-in-the-hall, smooth and rich effect.  I kept finding that tracks I know on many other speakers (more neutral) were less engaging, in particular things like drum cymbals and percussion became more recessed and lost snap and drive.
I believe the YG speakers are supposed to be more neutral, so it depends on what type of character you are looking for in a speaker.
(I also agree with the concerns voiced by soix).

I’ve owned both Raidhos and YGs, and feel that both are great speakers. The Raidhos better meet my current taste and needs. I had previously owned Peak Consult Zoltans, and I loved the body and heft they produced, though they were a little soft up high, and too big for my room when I downsized. I found the YGs to be neutral and dynamic, but in my smaller room, a little lean—they failed to provide the ‘magic’ I was looking for, even with my tubed DAC and preamp (they had worked better in my larger room). 

After listening to a number of of $30-40K speakers in showrooms—KEF Blades, Wilson-Benesch, Gamuts, Vivids, Wilsons—I once again found the requisite ‘magic’ with the Raidho D2s. They work great in a relatively near-field setup, and the tweeter is amazingly delicate, sweet and detailed. The bass is substantial for a 2.5-way with small drivers, and the mids are goldilocks right. They speak with one voice and never fail to transport me to lovely places when listening to favorite music—maybe not as neutral as YGs, but close (and delightful) enough that I don’t mind. I think they strike an ideal balance between ‘musicality’ and detail—and they match great with my Hegel H30.

And, yes, both Raidhos and YGs are expensive, but both bring a lot to the table. I’m not bothered by the change in designers. It appears that the new design team is attempting to bring some Raidho magic to better price points—always a good thing. Sure, buying from overseas companies can be a hassle if things go wrong, but so far, so good. I have yet to hear another speaker for a small-medium room that suits me better.

Soix - Mike B didn’t leave to scratch an itch. He was fired for taking too long to come up with new designs. Lars left because he believes in Mike B. Mike doesn’t rush into anything. It has to be just right or he starts over. I heard the XT5’s which Raidho has ’made more efficient’ since Mike and Lars left and to me they just don’t sound right compared to the XT3. I want to hear the D4.8 to hear for myself if they got it right or screwed that up too IMO.
prof, you owe it to yourself to hear a pair of Rosso Fiorentino with the ribbon supertweeter.  The disconnect is something I've struggled with in almost every implementation, but Rosso gets that aspect right by using a dome tweeter to cover up to 25khz and the ribbon from 25-100 khz.  You get the air of the ribbon with the cohesive sound from the ribbon down to the cone woofer.
More to discover