Speaker spike feet?

I recently acquired a nice older hifi system with Aerial Acoustics 7B tower speakers.I am not an audiophile. The speakers have heavy iron bases on them but there are no feet of any sort on these bases. I emailed the owner/designer at Aerial and he sent me a schematic of the bases which show that they originally had spike feet. He said he could provide the spikes at minimal cost. I was afraid to ask what minimal meant since I seem to remember that these bases cost $400 when new. (I'm still getting accustomed to what things cost in the audiophile world.)

I am wondering if I really need the spikes. These speakers sit on a carpeted floor with hardwood on typical joist construction floor. They sound quite good to me but if spikes would help in any way and I can get them cheap then I will do so.

I'll ask Aerial how much theirs cost but I'm pretty sure that stainless steel tripod (for photography) spikes will fit the 3/8-16 threads in these bases. The cost would be about $40 for those. Maybe the actual Aerial ones wouldn't cost any more but they are longer and look very sharp which makes me wonder about floor/carpet damage since these speakers weigh around 110 pounds each.
n80
You've stated that you're  not an audiophile, and that your system sounds quite good to you. Good! Enjoy your music, forget about spikes and relax. Now, as time goes by you may acquire the audiophile itch to constantly wonder, tweek, ponder, change, worry, fret, agonize, change again...
For now though, just enjoy what you've recently acquired.

Tom
Thanks guys. Will look into all that. tomcarr, I agree with you completely. I'm just looking to maximize the little things with as little money as possible..........but I'm starting to think that I might have audiophile tendencies....which is the last thing I need.
Generally high end speakers which come with spikes are designed for them. That is to say, the spikes serve a two-fold purpose. First and foremost, to drain unwanted vibration (energy) from the cabinet into the floor by directly coupling to the floor through the carpet. They do that by the shape of the spikes which direct energy away from the cabinet. And secondly, to help stabilise the speaker which also helps reduce vibration, and has a safety factor. Vibration is deleterious to the sound of the speakers as it causes distortions by interacting with the motion of the drivers. Ideally, the cabinet would be inert, and the drivers operating in perfect piston motion. That way the wave form reaching your ears is a closer representation of the musical signal. That’s the long explanation anyway.

Re: buying spikes, yes i’d suggest atleast giving them a try. With your flooring, they should help the bass to tighten up, and the imaging to snap into focus. Personally, I’d recommend the factory spikes if they’re not prohibitively expensive as the Designer would have chosen them after some testing to work synergistically with the speakers. If you go with an after-market alternative, make sure they are the same height. The reason for that is, the height of the factory spikes would have been chosen to elevate the tweeter to the optimal height. Using shorter spikes could therefore affect things like sound staging. As to the risk of the spikes damaging your floors through the carpet. I wouldn’t worry. Hardwood can stand up to knocks and dings pretty well. Also, my current speakers weigh 220lb’s & are supplied with spikes! Hope that helps.
The spikes in the link provided by Yogiboy look like they are mostly for adding to speaker cabinets that do not have bases or sockets for spikes.

My bases have threaded sockets for them. I think I will just see how much they are from Aerial or contact the seller in that link for thread measurements.

Many of those have metal plates for the spikes to rest on. I'm assuming that is just for hard floor since it would defeat the purpose on carpet.

The hardwood under my carpets was never meant to be seen. It is an old house and this is the type of under flooring they used before plywood. So I'm not worried about it. Just don't want to tear up the carpet when moving the speakers, etc. Will just have to be careful.