Speakers for aging audiophiles - What's with today bass emphasis ?

I'd love to pick your brains on a issue and possibly a suggestion
My system has 2 sources, a Logitech transporter and Thorens 126 MKIII / SME / Supex.  Ampli recently changed to a Musical Fidelity M6si. My listening is 80% streaming and 20% vinyl. It's mostly classic and prog rock but also acoustic jazz and classic chamber music.
I have an issue with my current speakers setup: Dynaudio BM6 passive.
I have been using those for some months now and find that while they are satisfying in terms of scene, detail, resolution they are exceedingly strong in the bass (say 50 to 200 Hz) and not adequately balanced in the middle / treble, say from 1k Hz up. It seems as though the bass player stand in front with a big amplifier and everyone else is back in the stage.
I have changed the amplifier to the Musical Fidelity but while I am happy with that I did not see much change in respect to the issue I am describing.

I relate this issue to 2 causes:

1. Today's recordings emphasizes the bass unrealistically. Let me just give you an example. I recently bought Steve Wilson remix of Marillion "Misplaced Childhood". Great work. The mix is shining but compared to the old vinyl I have got you get this feeling of too much bass. Bass quality is great, well defined, solid, no complain but just too much of a good thing.

2. I am ageing, over 60 now. It is well know that as you age your sensitivity to the high frequencies falls down

Given those factors I'd like to change speakers to get something that:
- Is very open on the highs
- It's very analytical
- Does not over emphasize basses
- Bookshelf
- Ballpark cost 2 - 2.5 K

Can anyone make suggestions ? I was inclined to the Harbeths M30 but read several blogs where they say they do emphasize the bass. Maybe Dynaudio Special or Focus  ? How about Totem Sky ?

I don't mind spending a few more bucks to get what I want / need.

Thanks a lot everyone.

Mark.
marklings
marklings,

Try Dynaudio Special 40. I listened to them and think they may fulfill your requirements. I, also, dread overemphasized bass and found Dynaudio Special 40 almost lacking bass at first. After a few minutes, I realized it was there but far from dominating or overpowering. I am not sure how to describe it. It was there, but not there to be noticed. Something like that, I guess. Remainder of the spectrum was very clear and obviously came from a fine speaker and not some quick company afterthought.

They may not be to your liking in the end, but are definitely worth a few minutes of introduction and consideration. They are $3000, small, and good.

I have only used their Sys passive to temper the gain on a very high gain amp. Worked like a charm. Hopefully Wolf will chime in with his positive experience with the EQ as he has in the past. Also, you can download the manual on their website. I hate to say it early in the a.m., but they make good schitt.
LOL tx for the comment

UPDATES

- I have checked with a tone generator and my room does have an even response to freqs. There’s a very noticeable dip in amplitude around 80 and 160 Hz

- Also I have tried one simple suggestion someone gave, stuff the ports with rags. The booming effect suddenly disappears; so the bass strength unfortunately.

I am wondering whether my best choice at this point would be to go for a sealed cabinet design such as ATC as someone suggested, either SCM 11 or 19 and possibly a sub.

Tx all again
It has been an extremely educating experience reading all those posts. I made further digging and reading. I am coming to the following, very opinionated, conclusions.

- There's surprisingly little sealed cabinets around
- 99% of the speakers are ported designs
- A ported design makes the room part of the acoustic much more than a sealed design; which in essence is a bad thing because we do not live in apartments designed for listening to the music, quite the contrary; and room management is practically impossible in most situations
- Ported designs have taken the lead because they are more "glamorous" and lend themselves more easily to the current Rap oriented, bass heavy trend in music production
- Also they need less powerful amps
- Sealed design do not go that deep and require lot of power but are more accurate

I just have to comment on ATC SCM 19 v2; they very neutral. They are not analytic or unnaturally open in the highs. I actually have a pair and I have had them for about two years. The thing is that I’m about to replace them because I’m looking for a speaker that’s more open. But I want more of the lower bass frequencies (below 50Hz) also. I feel that they are a little veiled, but I’m pretty sure it’s not the speakers fault. I think it’s a combination of my room, my other gear and my aging ears;)
Another "problem" with ATC SCM 19 v2 is that have to be played at quite high (in my opinion) volume. And they need a powerful amp.

Just for the record; I’m trying out a pair Tannoy Legacy Eaton just now.

@marklings
I just realized that you own a Musical Fidelity M6si. When I bought my ATC:s I used a Musical Fidelity M6i, but I thought that with that combination the sound was harsh and dull.