Preamps better than Parasound JC-2 ?

Hello,
I am looking to try out the active preamp route in my system. The TVC has served me very well. But when I want to play my wife's iPod or try to connect a Logitech bluetooth adaptor, there is simply not enough gain in my system.
Since I have a Parasound A-21, I am naturally looking to a JC-2 from Parasound. I was wondering if anyone on this forum as come across a killer (non-tube) preamp that is in the same price range, that can beat the JC-2. If the sound quality of the recommended preamp equals that of JC-2 and the cost is below JC-2, that would be preferred. I am eying the Oppo 105D or the newly released Yamaha CD-S2100 as my future source upgrade. Rest of my system is listed on this site.
I have not visited audio stores in more than 3 years, nor have I been to any trade shows, hence asking for feedback.

Thanks!
128x128milpai
So, I researched a few tube preamps and I would like to have one with XLR in/out. One such preamp is the Backert  Labs Rhumba 1.2. But I believe tubes have their own issues - like hum.
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/review-backert-labs-rhumba-1-2-preamplifier.732674/
One reason I like this tube preamp is, it has a top cover to change tubes. I looked at other like BAT, and they don't have covers like this one. One thing I don't know - can you keep the preamp "on" 24X7? Or will that kill the tubes?
Another point to note with tube amps is that their output impedance is always higher than a SS preamp.
@milpai 

Hum is not an issue of tube preamps any more than it is solid state. Hum can be caused by a variety of issues- ground loops amongst them, but I suspect its not that in this particular case.
There's no point in keeping a tube preamp on all the time like solid state. They should get to where they are going in 2-3 hours, unlike solid state which might take a week of on time.

In the case of the Rhumba, its output is actually single ended- its XLR connection is there for convenience only (this can be seen in the interior photos). This is why this unit hummed in the review you linked- the XLR cable the guy was using was picking up noise because it was running single-ended!

We make tube preamps with XLR inputs and outputs, and they are in fact actually fully differential and balanced all the way through- and (like the Rhumba) one stage of gain in the line section and zero feedback, and with a low enough output impedance to drive any amp made. So there are alternatives- BAT would be another.
Even if you were to go single-ended though, I still think you will find that the tube preamps have an advantage.

Here is something to chew on. I own a Schiit Freya preamp. It has 3 ways to listen to it. It also has balanced inputs and outputs. 1:) Passive Mode (a straight thru listen) just a volume control 2:) JFET Mode a nice solid state preamp presentation with extra gain 3:) TUBE Mode 4 6SN7 tubes
Anyway.... this is only $699 direct from factory. And I tell you that it is wonderful to be able to press a button on a remote and change to a different type of sound presentation. I listen the tube section quite a bit. But that doesn’t stop me from listening to the same song running Passive Mode or JFET Mode.

The only miscue with the preamp is the volume control emits clicks when adjusting the sound. The Freya uses a 128-Step Relay Attenuator that allows for great sound at low volumes. Many volume controls do not do so well with low volume control, and the stereo separation is not at the same volume.

If you want to hear what your system sounds like "Six ways from Sunday", it is worth a gander at the Freya. I have the Freya in a system that is very expensive. So don’t let the cheap price make you think that it doesn’t compete with the big guys. If you don’t like it, resale value is extremely good for Schiit products. You would have to go with much more money to get anything close to being better.
@bigddesign3, I am not sure about that. I think the Backert pre would be better than that. I have read enough threads and the Freya has mixed reviews with the users (not pro reviewers).

In my opinion....

John Curl is a very talented designer with a long pedigree of success. But the Parasound line (made in China) cannot compete with Herron Audio. The VTSP-360 has to be the stand-out line stage preamp available on the market today.

I own a VTSP-3a (rev 03) which is an astounding performer, but I’m saving my nickels and dimes to get a -360. It seems to be the ONLY preamp that betters the VTSP-3a. At least it is for those preamps I’ve heard, cost no object.

The VTSP-360 does only have unbalanced inputs, but maybe you should reconsider that requirement.