Very cheap rega p2/p3 tweak

I can't remember where I originally read this tweak, but it took me a couple of months to get around to trying it (hey I've got a 3 yr old at home ... it takes weeks to do anything !)

I have an old rega planar 3 with the upgraded motor (which is stuck directly to the plinth, as opposed to the older regas that use a motor suspended on the rubber bands ... I don't know how well it would work for them).

First you need to remove the platter and the belt.

The idea is to minimize the transfer of noise from the motor to the platter and the arm. To do this get a small patch of self adhesive damping material (sold in auto stores for damping body panels) and cut a piece to surround the motor pulley, without catching on the subplatter.

I cut a small oval, approx 2 inches by 1 inch with a hole in the middle big enough to go over the motor pulley. Stick this down on the plinth making sure that the motor pullay and subplatter don't catch on the material.

Next I cut a ring (or more correctly an annulus) of the material to go around the subplatter, to intercept any surface vibrations between the subplatter and the arm. Since I did not test in between stages I can't say whether this gives much additional benefit, but the material is cheap and it only takes about 5 minutes extra. My guess is that sourrounding the motor pulley is the more important step.

Once all of the material is stuck down replace the platter. This conveniently hides your handy-work, if, like me, it isn't looking too neat.

Since I was in a rush I can't claim to have done a careful before vs after analysis, but I have now lived with the changes for about two weeks and I think that there is a very noticeable difference in the quietness in between tracks. This translates into a crisper, more dynamic sound during the music, since the signal to noise ratio is improved.

Overall for about $10 of materials I'd say I'm very happy with the improvement in the sound. I have not gone further and coated the entire underside of the plinth with this material ... my guess is that it would offer some improvement, but with diminishing returns since the motor is the chief source of noise in the platter, and due to the way the motor sticks to the laminate layer, rather than to the mdf. It looks a bit messy with the platter removed, and the damping material is very sticky and almost impossible to remove, so don't try this if you ever intend to trade the deck.

If anyone tries it then I'd appreciate a follow-up post to relate your experience. Happy cheap tweaking.
seandtaylor99
I will say, when I upgraded my motor from the rubber band suspended motor to the glued on motor I noticed that the material left to support the motor after the motor recess had been routed out at the factory was mightly thin. You might find that something more substantial in this area -- a thin wood or metal plate that is glued to the top of the plinth that ties the thicker parts of the plinth to this thin layer of laminant might be even more beneficial.

There I go trying to make the Rega plinth stiff again.
Paul Green
I figure if the motor is the source of noise, why not create a buffer between the sub platter and platter. I found these rubber sheets at Michaels that are only a millimeter or so thick. I simply cut a piece to cover the sub platters contact with the platter. This raises the platter relative to the tonearm, but very slightly only (probably similar to a thick record matt). The background is definitely quieter. 
Any comments? 
I am curious if anyone else has tried this
I have tried Dynamat on the motor, and the subplatter. It definitely made things quieter. I then went from that to a double stick pad for the motor from Herbies, and a Groovetracer subplatter. That was much better.
Cheers, Doug