Micro RX 5000 Renaissance?

It may be just a coincidence, but looking through the various reports of the recent Munich high end event I've noticed no fewer than four (!) different turntables that all look suspiciously like the Micro RX-5000.

TW Acoustic and Kuzma launched new models visually 'inspired' by the RX-5000 design, Acoustical Systems showed a table that looks like an exact copy and DB Systems (www.micro.nl) also showed an exact copy, leaving no doubt of its objective by simply calling it 'The Tribute'. And then of course there already was the TechDas AirForce 5.

Does anyone know more about these newbies and what's under their bonnets? It would be interesting to compare their performance vis à vis the original and hear how much technology has moved forward. Or not.

While I'm a happy owner of the RX-1500G, the RX-5000 has been on my radar for quite some time. So with this Micro Renaissance going on, should I wait for a mint original to cross my path or should I go for one of these new tables? It seems Micro enthousiasts are now spoiled for choice........

edgewear
@rauliruegas, thank you for the explanation. English is not my native tongue, so perhaps I was ignorant of the correct meaning. I stand corrected!

I’m not a member of the ’Congregation of MS Acolytes’ and their products are not at all sacrosanct to me. Even so, trial and error have convinced me that even the humble RX-1500 sounds better TO ME than the various modern turntable I’ve tried. These had cost me more, albeit nowhere near the $40k of the table you endorsed. For the people who are prepared to invest that kind of money in a turntable I should hope they get better sound than the RX-5000 or its derivates that cost less than $10k. But such a comparison doesn’t make any sense (I can think of 40.000 reasons why......).

About those Micro plateaus. When I first installed it I was horrified about the ringing. As expected, when used ’naked’ it really sounded terrible. Adding the standard issue DISK-SE rubber mat ’killed’ the ringing to some extend, but it effectively ’killed’ the music too. So at first I was very disappointed about the sound quality (and about the purchase I might add).

Then someone was kind enough to inform me that I really needed to add the CU-180 (or CU-500) copper mat. It took some effort finding it, but I’m glad that I did. Things immediately fell into place. The uncontrolled and restless sound of the ’naked’ plateau disappeared, while retaining the liveliness and dynamics that were killed with adding a rubber mat (or cork, or leather, I tried all usual suspects). The resulting sound of this gunmetal/copper ’sandwich’ (a kind of constrained layer damping avant la lettre?) must have been fully intentional.

Many manufacturers in the 80’s were using various materials to dampen their plateaus (e.g. my Pioneer PL-70L II has some bituminous material underneath it). We can safely assume that Micro was perfectly aware of this and apparently decided against it.

So my assumption is that they left their gunmetal (and stainless steel) plateaus undamped on purpose. My listening experience suggest as much, BUT I do think that these copper mats should have been an integral part of the package and should never have been sold separately as an ’add on’ accesory.

The unfortunate result of this faulty marketing strategy is that there are probably many Micro owners out there who do not hadve the copper mat and consequently have no idea what their table is supposed to sound like.

Dear @amg56: No, you are not insult me even if you or any one else post that I’m stupid I don’t took it as an insult if that person tells me in the same post why I’m stupid.

I know for sure that I can be ignorant on some audio subjects and that’s why I always am willing to learn from everywhere.

For many years now my day by day attitude is always this: make in deep tests on every single post I read all over the internet audio forums, it does not matters that those posts came from an audio rookie. Of course that I make the tests on what I can test or that my room/audio system permit it.

I almost never post anything where I did not have first hand experiences and not only that but almost always challenge other audiophiles to try it before they give me " negative " answers or that posts only theories with out trying their self what are posting.

You can be sure that what I post exist a good reason to do it and that normally the audiophile expression: " that’s the way I like it " never is the foundation of my posts. I have to stay perfectly sure of what I’m posting even if is contrary of what you or other gentlemans are accustom to.

My best self question ( every day. ) is: what if I wrong?, this challenge question permit me to test different alternatives in an audio subject till I can prove that I’m wrong or confirm I’m in the rigth road. I always are unbiased with any audio subject, no matter what.

I never gave / give any single advise where I never tested or satisfied with. You can be sure about.

Problem in internet audio forums is that almost no one wants to make tests on something they are not accustom to: against his believes. This is the real problem: stays sticky on several wrong believes that just stop each one growing up and music true enjoyment.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.
Dear @cleeds : Time to learning. Why incomplete? where is my ignorance of that word?  can you help about?

R.
rauliruegas
Time to learning. Why incomplete? where is my ignorance of that word? can you help about?
While your use and dictionary definition of the word "ignorant" is literally correct, the word has a cultural nuance that is apparently lost in translation. Calling someone "ignorant" about anything - even if true - is usually considered an insult. The same is true if you tell someone they need to "grow up."
The best of MS TTs are its looking but not its overall quality performance. In the other side the MAX 237/282 tonearms are really a reference product an a true challenge to any today tonearm designs.

Is this a joke?  Having owned 1500, 5000, and 8000 I am a MS fan but  the 237 and 282 arms are by far the most overrated tonearms of all time, and nowhere near the level of their better turntables.  They sound thin, sterile, and downright unmusical.  A cheap Rega 250 sounds better...far better