Good, Affordable Horns?

I've often thought about adding a pair of horn loaded speakers, like say a pair of Klipsch La Scala, to my collection, but I've not heard enough horn loaded speakers to really know the differences, or what works and what doesn't. What are some good ones for under say $2K? What do these give up say compared to some of the larger and more expensive horn loaded speakers I've seen in AUdiogon user systems? The Jadis Eurythmie are one such pair I've seen that appear out of this world, but also must cost a small fortune.
128x128mapman
I am going to tout my own Klipsch speakers, which are the Epic CF3's. They consist of 2 10" drivers, with a big horn between them. They are not bright at all, play tight bass down into the mid 20hz range. With their 100db sensitivity, they have a full bodied sound even at low volume and because they can also handle 250 watts continous, with 1000 watt peaks, they give you uncompressed concert slam when you crank them up.
Jax2, I don't toally diasagree with you about the low end bass response of the LaScala. But the amp/preamp combo I am running is more than adequate for me. It is comparable to my Cornwalls running with my SET amps.

Here is a response from Boa2 to a thread on Preamps...no bass or treble controls? 9-16-2005.
He owned LaScalas with a sub back then & running them with Wright 2A3 SET monoblock amps.

We have a George wright AU-1000 (a/k/a AG-1000 with a gold face plate) that has tone controls. With a slight turn of the bass knob, we"re able to get enough bottom end even with his 4 Watt SET mono blocks that we sold our sub. As others have suggested, recordings (and rooms) are not perfect. Have you heard Wilco's "A Ghost is Born"? When listening to that CD, I actually have to turn the bass down.

The Llano Phoenix CAS 300/VA2 mosfet/tube hybrid power amp is 300 watts x 2 @ 8 ohms. Which is way over kill powering my Industrial LaScalas. But the Llano amp/George Wright preamp combo sounds excellent to my ears. The Llano Phoenix amp shares many of the same attributes as my Mcintosh
MC 7150 power amp in that it is a smooth sounding amp. But the Llano has much deeper bass response and smooth more extended treble. Llano amps were known to have low end bass response like Krell
amps.

The George Wright AU-1000 preamp I own is actually the same preamp Boa2 once owned. He sold
it to a another guy. And I bought it from him.
I’ll comment as a Klipsch owner for the past 8 years, specifically the Chorus II’s and their successor, the KLF Legend Series (KLF-20’s). Both of these models can be bought for under $1K on the used market. I used them for a few years without modified/upgraded xover networks and for the past 4 or so years with modified/upgraded xovers.

I’m extremely happy with the overall sound quality of these speakers and can confidently say, these speakers will not be changed for other speakers. They heavily benefit from proper pairing with equipment. Tubes are the ideal match for Klipsch speakers. I’ve used my Klipsch speaker with an Eico HF-81 and currently with a restored H.H. Scott 222C and John Hogan integrated SET amp. I will also say that my Stan Warren custom built chip amp is amazing with my Klipsch speakers. One SS amp that worked very well with my Klipsch was Plinius.

I love the amazing dynamics of the horns and my KLF-20’s have plenty of low end slam along with extended highs. The Chorus II’s are amazing speakers also with a slightly better midrange than the KLF-20’s but slightly less low end slam.

It took me one evening to upgrade the Chorus II xover networks. The difference after modifying/upgrading the xover networks is incredible. You have not heard how good Klipsch speakers are until you have at least modified/upgraded the xover networks. I also modified/upgraded all my other Klipsch speakers and will do so with any future Klipsch speakers I own. Actually, I will not own any speakers that I haven’t upgraded the xover networks. The improvement in sound across the entire spectrum is too much to miss out on.
I totally agree with Vman71 about the excellent sonic results acheived by upgrading Klipsch crossovers.
The George Wright AU-1000 preamp I own is actually the same preamp Boa2 once owned. He sold
it to a another guy. And I bought it from him.

Well, I can still say with great confidence that the LaScalas drop off severely just under 50hz. If you consider that adequate bass, then so be it, that's all you need! The LaScalas Howard owned that you mentioned were purchased from me, as was the preamp you now own (great little pre btw). Howard's an old friend of mine. He now owns a pair of Khorns. Last time I was there he was using a high powered McIntosh SS amp to push them, though I think he's gone back to SET lately. If you really want to find out how low they go, buy yourself a sound pressure meter from Radio Shack and take some measurements. That's how I came to these conclusions. I've done it in several rooms with two pairs of LaScalas and various amps and preamps, including the very one you now own. If your results are vastly different I'd like to know your secret(s). Cool beans though...I'm glad you're getting the lows you want from them - they're great speakers.

Yep, crossovers and tweeters are the first things I'd change..oh, and the zip cord that passes for internal wires.

Marco