Using Maple Butcher Block Under a Turntable

When using a maple butcher block under a turntable, what is below the butcher block?  Cone?  Soborthane pucks?  Does it just lay on the shelf?  What are people using and how of they mounting the block?  How are they mounting the table on the butcher block?
bpoletti
@bpoletti Er... your turntable mat. You don’t have one, do ya? No Virtual System either. A few years ago, I had problems with heavy furniture under my 401. Warmth, blurring, sluggishness. I put 3 small granite block samples on the furniture top. Then placed the heavy 401 on small brass compression rings I had knocking around. Basically the turntable sat on 3 pieces of tiny decouplers which rested on the granite which rested flat on the furniture top. It totally cleaned up the sound for no $. I use a different set up now but that worked for years.
@noromance

I assume you use a 10" because of the raised lip on most vinyl records, that would leave some area unsupported, still not flat.... Would a flat profile lp be better? Or..cut the outer lip off of a regular lp and smooth the edge off?
@noromance The table rests on three original Stillpoints.  I doan need no steenkin mat. 

All kidding aside, the previous owner of the table saw this thread ad gave me a call over the weekend.  Made a couple of suggestions.  Both have improved the sound and reduced the magnitude of the warmth I was trying to address.  Still room for more tweaks.  
@slaw Yup. 10". Seems to work fine with the overhang. I wanted to get the Resomat but he's retired from making them.

@bpoletti yes but it is the wood that makes it sluggish. Try the stillpoints on granite blocks..I beg you!! And spill the beans on what you did.
ya, i just have a 2" maple butcher block under my VPI Scoutmaster II.
I am just using the cork and rubber squares: about 1" cubed. its good, but not the best. 
vibrapods are good as well.

but with a blank butcher block, you can drill 3-4 holes to install spikes.
e.g, from Dayon Audio or Parts express. but you will want to use a drill press to make sure the holes are perfectly straight, so that your spikes are perfectly straight. 

1. drill hole in the block
2. install metal female outside threaded piece into the hole you drilled.
3 . screw in the metal spikes. 
4. put metal discs under the spikes if you like

I've done this, worked for me