Replacing Thiel 2.2's, Need Monitor Suggestions

I am completely satisfied with my Thiel 2.2's. They are transparent, detailed (sometimes unforgivingly so), incredible imaging, and solid as rocks. Unfortunately, my girlfriend thinks they are clunky looking and since we're getting new furniture she is wondering if there is anything smaller I could replace them with.

I should be able to get $900 out of them to put toward some smaller speakers. I'm considering monitors, or anything smaller and nicer looking (possibly a slim floor stander with a nice veneer.) I would prefer not spending more than $1000 on the speakers, and I don't mind buying used.

I am looking for the things that my Thiel's did well (detail, transparency, incredible imaging, large body of sound) as opposed to overly warm-sounding speakers.

You can use the links below my username to view my system. I'm still getting started, and my next upgrade will be getting a separate amp. Any suggestions for an amp to complement your suggested speakers would also be appreciated. My budget for the amp is no more than $400 used.

Thanks for any suggestions, and please don't answer with "lose the girlfriend." It's not helpful. All other advice is very appreciated.

-Dusty
128x128heyitsmedusty
Initial reaction: Stevecham is probably right. I don't have them on stands yet (just sitting on my entertainment center to the left and right of my TV), and the sound is smaller and artificial sounding. They are new so they have a good amount of breaking in ahead of them, and I'm hoping that opens the sound up.

I'm already looking toward the Thiel 1.6 or Totem Arro at this point though.

More to come.
I know, I know, Rnm4, you're absolutely right. Right now they are too close to the back wall (about 1 foot), and probably resonating the entire credenza into a bass-reflex monstrosity. I haven't even given them the proper attention they need to shine, but you know how it is: you want to hook those suckers up and listen to them!

Hijacking my own thread: now taking recommendations on speaker stands. B&W makes the FS-700 specially for the CM1, but I'm open to alternatives as well.
Heyitsmedusty,

Nice choice. Theils have there strengths, but so do the CM1's. Your amp has a fair amount of power to drive the CM1's, so I would let the new speakers break in for a while, get them on stands (the B&W stands would be logical match), and then do some serious evaluating and fiddle with positioning - at least a couple hundred hours of playing time out of the box.
Heyitsmedusty,
Check out the BG Radia Z-92. There is a pair here for $1,500[with center channel] I've seen them go for $900 on the used market. Look really nice in maple, they will totally D-STROY the Thiels in every way, midband, bass you name they give the 3.7 a run for the money! Now that their discontinued they sell right away.
Here is a pic.

http://audiojunkies.com/forum/blog/4751-bohlender-graebener-bg-z-92-z-62-speakers.html

There are other nice hybrid ribbon speakers from Sonist, Tonian Labs Etc. but they are quite a bit more expensive. I've modded mine and they just keep sounding better.

Good luck!

Vinyl9