Krell or Mark Levinson with Revel Ultima2's???

OK,

I know the ML amps and Revel speakers make a solid match, but given the recent changes in ML, I have some issues with buying their amps right now. I would also like a SLIGHTLY more forward presentation than the ML/Revel combo does, though I could easily live with it and be quite happy.

I am considering either 5 ML 436's or Krell Evo 403/402 to power Revel Ultima2 Salons front Studio surrounds and Voice center. Pre/pro is a Meridian 861v4 and several sources exist including Esoteric DV-50s, Meridian G98DH, Toshiba HD XA2, Samsung BDP-1200.... you get the main idea. Cables are Transparent reference for the front so far and likely will be reference for the surrounds when all is said and done.

I can't find any one nearby who sells Krell, Levinson and Revel to compare them so am seeking anyone with experience of these combo's to chime in with your thought and opinions.

All help is appreciated!

Ken
kennyt
Hey Kenny- Wilson Sashas - nice!... can't go wrong with those. I have now had my Krell Evo 600e monos for about a month...and all I can say is wow! For power hungry full-range spakers, I don't think there is much better than these beasts..... I am still waiting on delivery of the Krell/Nordost CAST MMF cables....right now I am running balance xlr pre-amp to amp. I am very eager to see if the CAST cables make as big of difference as advertised. The other recent upgrade was a Krell 202 pre-amp. I was very interested in the ARC 40th Anniv pre-amp.....but never got a chance to audition it. The Krell 202 is a great pre-amp..and seems to mate well with the Krell mono amps......that being said, I remain very curious how Krell mono amps behave with high-end tube pre-amps (like the Arc 40). Perfect blend of precision and warmth?
Kenny - how are you liking the Arc Ref 40 and Emm labs purchases? Any initial impressions? Either one create a quantum leap in sound quality versus the equipment they replaced?

I am awaiting delivery of an ARC DAC-8...I am anxious to hear how that slight touch of ARC warmth jells with my krell evo gear.
Bruce,

I had the ARC Ref 5 for over a year and have only a few hundred hours on the AE so not yet fully burned in (my Ref 5 improved to ~650 hours!) The EMM Labs combo made my Esoteric DV-50s sound harsh and cheap, I tried to just buy the DAC2 SE and use the Esoteric as a transport but the EMM TSD1 was SO much more musical I bought both pieces.

The Ref 5 and even a bit more so the AE have amazing control and detail of the bottom end, as do the Krell Evo amps and the Wilson Sasha's can do some serious bottom end as well, so the bass is exceptional and the rest is detailed and smooth so totally not fatiguing. I really like this combo and it is the best set up I have had to date. Sounds awesome for HT as well!
Bruce: I'm anxious to hear how you like the MMF CAST cables.
I have a EVO202/402e system which tomorrow will be powering a new pair of Salon 2's. Right now I am using the origional CAST cables but have wanted to upgrade for a while.
I have delayed because i keep reading how the MMF (Nordost) cables sound lean.
Looking forward to your thoughts......
Aloha!