Cartridge or Pre Amp

I recently picked up the Pro-Ject Tube Box DS and I am tickled pink on how warm and yet dynamic it remains. I’ve noticed that there seems to be some front stage darkness on some older records. Nothing more volume can’t fix. Would upgrading my AT-ML150 cartridge or the pre amp would this phenomenon or it simply a characteristic of the production and pressing of its day?

My setup:

Technics MK1200 MKII various upgradeds: wires, tonearm, etc.
AT-AL150/OCC Cartidge
Pro-Ject Tube Box DS
Bryston 4B3
Bryston Model T speakers
Simaudio MOON NEO Preamp
OPPO UDP-205

joyofsound
@jollytinker Very nice cartridge! I was actually thinking of upgrading the the ART9. What phone stage are you running with it?

@chakster I may also experiment with upgrading the stylus.
@joyofsound You can’t go wrong with the ART9. I think it depends on how much cash you want to invest. ART9 is around $1k depending where you get it. If you want to go above that I’d agree that a good phono stage would make a big difference. Mine is a Doshi Alaap 2.1 - even at a bargain price it was very expensive but I don’t regret the purchase. some very good options listed in this thread. Lately I’ve also been enjoying a Zyx CPP-1 head amp running into an old Audible Illusions Modulus 2A pre-amp, using only the tape outs so that it acts as a MM phono stage. sounds fantastic with a pair of svetlana 6922s
The more better the system gets, the more records will sound different to each other. That's the result of higher resolution. In fact, you should embrace it: that's one of the ways to tell if your system is actually getting better or just changing colorations/presentation. 

Surprised at some that are saying "get a better phono stage". Can easily say that about any other piece, or "upgrade everything". I personally think as you describe your system, it is very well balanced. 

Before upgrades, I think it's better to make what you have sounds it's best. What fun is it to just swap components without getting to play with them and get to know them? 
And, you have to roll tubes. It's like a rule. It's the law, if you want to be a true "audiophile". We do have a code of ethics, you know. 

Which ones? ALL of them-any you can get your hands on. It's just experimenting, right? Anything cheap, even used, you should try. Then, if and when you want to spend real money on tubes, you might have an idea what to get. 
I may also experiment with upgrading the stylus.

Replacement styli for AT-ML series are impossible to find nowadays, they are expensive. New styli for different AT models are not compatible and not as good at the ATN170 or ATN180 styli you may want to upgrade for. I think you have very little chance to find a better AT stylus than your beryllium/linecontact ATN150, this is how it looks under my macro lens. Beryllium cantilever with pressure fitted nude LineContact diamond. Beryllium cantilevers are no longer available in the industry. If you can’t hear the potential of this AT cartridge, then something wrong with your phono stage, maybe you need a top quality NOS Telefunken military tubes to improve the top end and clarity. I;ve bought all the best NOS tubes to experiment with my amps, but i ended up with First Watt gear and i don’t want to get back to tubes anymore. With MC cartridge like the ART-9 you will have even more problems with phono stage. Like @jollytinker i am a user of ZYX CPP-1 headamp and various SUTs along with different MM/MC phono stages.

If you can’t get the righ sound from such a nice AT cartridge then it’s too early to think about LOMC. The ART-9 is reasonably priced, but the phono stage or sut will cost you twice as much to the cost of the cartridge. When the MM cartridge sounding "dark" i would recomment to change the loading from 47k Ohm to 100k Ohm.

I wish i could find more styli myself as i am using AT-ML180 now (it’s a killer MM cartridge, one of the best ever). If you want to experiement with stylus then you can use that plastic stylus holder frame to send to SoundSmith for Boron Cantilever, i mean this one. If you want to look at comparison chart of the different AT-ML models you will find it here.

LOMC is not panacea in your situation, it will only cause more problems.
Life is easier with MM carts, some of them are exceptionally good compared to expensive LOMC.
And this is why i recommend JLTi MM/MC phono stage with its" diamond transistors", this is how it looks inside: https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18275023_1683323108352516_8614811338337251752_n.jpg?_n...