Removing spikes... Now my speakers sing

Have you tried to replace the spikes under your speakers, and replace them by footers ?  I find a better unity in the music from my speakers, and beefy sound, and more natural music.
audiosens

Every speaker, floor, room combo is unique as some here have already stated. It might take a while, and a lot of music playing, before you settle on the best combination for your sound.

I now take a variable approach, but in the learning curve past went through different stages of fixes that in time I discovered usually finding a flaw.

here’s a practical example that I went through

When I was the marketer for AudioPoints late 80’s - mid 90’s I found myself needing to do a lot of mods to the setup to get things how I and clients wanted. There is a lot of hit and miss when depending on a cone or spike to make everything perfect or even close. That brass, or other metal, zing is always waiting there to jump out at you. Metals are great but can easily throw a system out whack and lead to fatiguing. Part of the fix to this for me was designing wood Top & Bottom voicing squares. In the mid 90’s I realized I was going to need to make my own cone and spike designs and have been doing so since. Many materials, shapes, sizes and specific applications. Finding a better metal cone or spike though isn’t the end of the story as the OP points out. Developing a system that gives more flexibility to the relationship between speaker/floor/room combos is where the hobby has been heading for the last 20 or so years. Seems like a long time but look how many cones, spikes, pads, feet, platforms, springs, floors, stands and coupling and decoupling devices have been made. Shoot I design and market my own floors and whole rooms. I’ve even designed whole buildings from the ground up, and I can tell you after thousands of the systems I have worked on, there is not necessarily any quick fixes.

Recordings vary, and our Earth is made up of varying forces. And our systems, including room, are producing vibrations, waves, interactive fields, pressure and more. All of which are good things when in tune and bad things out of tune. Everyone here has their system at least slightly different from the next. Whether we agree or disagree on audio debates, you are the master of your own system and never sell yourself short as you discover things that work for you, even if no one else in the hobby seems to think your ideas have merit or not. The more you explore your system the more you are going to discover just how good it really is and how far it can take you. Many people who have moved their same system around will usually tell you that the same system in one space sounds nothing like it did when moving into another, especially from one house type to another.

These types of threads that are based on ones’ personal experience are treasures, because they show how variable this hobby is. For me, it’s like the next chapter of the hobby for HEA. Or as I say on another thread "the walk of the hobby".

Michael Green

www.michaelgreenaudio.net

I think the issue you are having is rocking.

One thing everyone with medium weight speakers should try is adding mass to the top of the speaker, near the front. It reduces the ability of the woofers to rock the cabinet back and forth. Spikes make this tilting easier.

Best,
E
Stillpoint 5's under my Wilson Sophia 3's couple the speakers to the wooden floor, making the whole listening space resonate. 
Post removed