Preamps better than Parasound JC-2 ?

Hello,
I am looking to try out the active preamp route in my system. The TVC has served me very well. But when I want to play my wife's iPod or try to connect a Logitech bluetooth adaptor, there is simply not enough gain in my system.
Since I have a Parasound A-21, I am naturally looking to a JC-2 from Parasound. I was wondering if anyone on this forum as come across a killer (non-tube) preamp that is in the same price range, that can beat the JC-2. If the sound quality of the recommended preamp equals that of JC-2 and the cost is below JC-2, that would be preferred. I am eying the Oppo 105D or the newly released Yamaha CD-S2100 as my future source upgrade. Rest of my system is listed on this site.
I have not visited audio stores in more than 3 years, nor have I been to any trade shows, hence asking for feedback.

Thanks!
128x128milpai
Thanks @timlub 
Thank You for the suggestion.
What were your thoughts about the Capri S2? What were the differences you heard between the S2 and the Coda? Curious where the S2 fell short of your expectations. I known that Coda has very high demand in Europe and not in the US. There was one on sale here a couple of days back and I guess someone purchased it.
I have never had any experience with tubes. So never investigated into tubes. I am worried that when a tube goes bad, it might cause some damage to the system. Besides tube rolling is expensive and I have no experience biasing the tubes.What are your preamp suggestions on balanced tube amps in the $3-$4k range? Will they be compatible with the Parasound A21 amp?
Its unlikely that a bad tube would damage the system or tubes simply would not still be around :)
You don't need to 'roll tubes' to hear tube sound although some collector tubes are pretty nice. I stay away from that stuff myself and it does not seem to hurt.
I'm not sure what you can find at that price- does it need to be new? If not, ARC, BAT, Atma-Sphere (disclaimer, I am associated with Atma-Sphere), Shiit, and a pile more I'm not remembering off hand.
@milpai
Coda CL vs Rowland Capri S2
It wasn’t that the Coda walked all over the S2, that would not be a fair statement, but In My System, The Coda had a wider soundstage, the Coda had a bit more detail and the Coda was more dynamic. For me, the choice was clear.
I will say that I did purchase 1 pre that I have for sale now. It was a T+A Elektroakustik.... For me this was a trade off with my Coda. It presented music differently and had a different character than the Coda.
The Coda is a bit more forward sounding than the T+A. The T+A was equally smooth and detailed but a bit more laid back without losing dynamics. It was by far the best pre that I’ve ever owned for how it presented Classical music, the soundstage was extremely wide and showed better height than I was accustomed to, but I listen to 80% + Jazz and for that small ensemble, I preferred the Coda slightly. The T+A cost me a lot more than the Coda was worth.... and suddenly the SST fell in my lap. I purchased the SST. The T+A is its equal in many ways, but with the extreme amount of versatility of the SST Ambrosia and me always lusting after one, I grabbed it. 

I hope all of this helps in some way, Tim
Thank You Tim.Yes, it helps. Based on the feedback I got here and through personal communications, I am thinking of dropping the JC-2 altogether and more inclined towards the Bryston BP-17, since I am not sure if I will be able to lay my hands on the SST Ambrosia. It is beyond my price range. Will look out for used ones.
I think I have narrowed it down to the Jeff Rowland Capri S2 Vs the Bryston B-17 cubed. As anyone got a chance to compare these? The Capri S2 is 5 years old vs the Bryston is less than a year old.