Getting into Tube Equipment

Hey there,

I have been gradually getting into vinyl and hi-fi for a while now. I mostly listen to folk, country, and some bluesy-rock music. Examples include the Grateful Dead, Sturgill Simpson, John Denver, and the Tedeschi Trucks Band.

I have been forward thinking about audio equipment I would like to have in the future. The components I am most eager to upgrade are my amp and phono preamp. For the amp, I am very interested in one of the Dynaco clones people are selling like the ST-70, ST-120 or the M-125 by Bob Latino. However, my first order of business will have to be getting a phono preamp with a volume control because these amps do not have a volume control. I would like to preface, I am not independently wealthy and do not expect to be in my life. Therefore, a $12,000 stereo setup does not seem like a reasonable option for me.

Can anyone please give me direction on either getting a Pro-Ject Tube Box DS or a used EAR 834P?

Additionally, If I could get some direction on an amp, it would be useful. Right now I own the Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers and I really love them. The only thing I can see upgrading to is a pair of used Harbeth Super hl5plus speakers but this would be in the more distant future. Based on what I currently have and will be using for awhile, as well as my future considerations, are any of the amps I am considering a best fit? 

-Thomas
128x128captainblackleg
While Ralph has forgotten more about audio than I'll ever know I concur with David's assessment as I'm driving my 4 ohm Tekton DI SE's with an Aric Audio 300B SET and the synergy is amazing. I drove them with the 1 watt LTA MZ2 before getting the 300b with great success also. While 4 ohm speakers generally might not work with small tube amps, the Tektons don't seem to have issue with them. That would make the DI's a great budget choice for the OP in my opinion. 
Scottinmartin, in reference to your recommendation on Pro-ject tube box DS2, what change did you achieve when you upgraded the tubes to  upgrade to NOS Amperex BB 12ax7
@trelja 

I was thinking about building one of Latino’s amps.  Do you own one and have you compared it to an updated/modified ST70? I was also thinking of just buying an ST70 and updating it using modern day parts in key areas while keeping the output trannys. 
Thomas,
I was in the same boat some months ago. I owned the Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers and wanted to try tubes. I purchased a demo model of a Jolida 202BRC integrated amp which is just a few years old. I figured that I could sell it if I didn't like it or if I wanted to upgrade later. Going used (and under $800) was my way of checking out tubes with low risk. Of course, I could tube roll at some point, but for the moment I'm good. As far as the synergy with the Wharfedales goes, the 40 wpc Jolida seems fine (I don't feel the need to turn it up much more than I would with my vintage Sansui 95 wpc solid state integrated amp) and in many ways quite beautiful especially in the midrange, but take that with a grain of salt since this is my first foray with tubes. When I compare the Jolida to my Sansui, I hear differences that many people say they find between tubes and solid state (I know there are plenty of exceptions to the way people characterize such differences.) So I think the Jolida is serving the function of teaching me about tubes. My main point is to echo the previous recommendation to try things out. One way to do that is to buy used with the idea of selling later if you want.
Frank
First, note the biases of hobbyists and professionals and pretty much everyone.
A disclaimer (if not disqualification): I read more than I listen. Next, music is not my No. 1 interest.
Over the years of checking in on Audio Asylum (and audiogon, but mostly to see 'what's out there' in terms of equipment), here are the biases I've noted:
Bias No. 1: a need for bass, large and loud-sounding
Bias No. 2: a preference for frequency extremes [note the relation to the above point]
Bias No. 3: a (peculiar) sensitivity to "W.A.F." [meaning "Wife Acceptance Factor"]. 
Bias No. 4: an insane interest in detail - meaning specs and stats . . . and, oh yes, details in the music, TOO [finally]
A.A. (Anti-Audio)