What Matters and What is Nonsense

I’ve been an audiophile for approximately 50 years. In my college days, I used to hang around the factory of a very well regarded speaker manufacturer where I learned a lot from the owners. When I started with audio it was a technical hobby. You were expected to know something about electronics and acoustics. Listening was important, but understanding why something sounded good or not so good was just as important. No one in 1968 would have known what you were talking about if you said you had tweaked your system and it sounded so much better. But if you talked about constant power output with frequency, or pleasing second-order harmonic distortion versus jarring odd-order harmonics in amplification, you were part of the tribe.

Starting in the 1980s, a lot of pseudo scientific nonsense started appearing. Power cords were important. One meter interconnects made a big difference. Using a green magic marker on the edge of a CD was amazing. Putting isolation dampers under a CD transport lifted the veil on the music. Ugh. This stuff still make my eyes roll, even after all these years.

So I have decided to impart years and years of hard won knowledge to today’s hobbists who might be interested in reality. This is my list of the steps in the audio reproduction chain, and the relative importance of each step. My ranking of relative importance includes a big dose of cost/benefit ratio. At this point in the evolution of audio, I am assuming digital recording and reproduction.

Item / Importance to the sound on a scale of 1-10 / Cost benefit ratio

• The room the recording was made in / 8 / Nothing you can do about it
  • The microphones and setup used in the recording / 8 / nothing you can do about it.
  • The equalization and mixing of the recording / 10 / Nothing you can do about it
  • The technology used for the recording (analog, digital, sample rate, etc.) / 5 / nothing you can do about it.
  • The format of the consumer recording (vinyl, CD, DSD, etc.) 44.1 - 16 really is good enough / 3 / moderate CB ratio
  • The playback device i.e. cartridge or DAC / 5 / can be a horribe CB ratio - do this almost last
  • The electronics - preamp and amp / 4 / the amount of money wasted on $5,000 preamps and amps is amazing.
  • Low leve interconnects / 2 / save your money, folks
  • Speaker cables / 3 / another place to save your money
  • Speakers / 10 / very very high cost to benefit ratio. Spend your money here.
  • Listening room / 9 / an excellent place to put your money. DSPs have revolutionized audio reproduction
In summary, buy the best speakers you can afford, and invest in something like Dirac Live or learn how to use REW and buy a MiniDSP HD to implement the filters. Almost everything else is a gross waste of money.
128x128phomchick

Nice post but I don't believe a bit of it. If you liked the way your setup sounded why would you change it, given your last comment:

"Do enjoy you system however you want, but don’t tell me what I do and do not get results from.
Because you don’t have any way of knowing."

Your post read like a clear window - you could see right through it.

I don’t want to start a fight or anything but I think I have just solved a big mystery. I don’t wish to jump to conclusions too hastily but it appears the most vociferous, outspoken and persistent skeptics and anti tweakers are the very same ones who frequently report getting no results with the audiophile tweaks and devices under discussion, whether it’s vibration isolation, fuses, cables, what have you. Problem solved!
amg56
However I absolutely agree that an unpredictable change may produce a large influence in the way we appreciate the sound (in this forum’s case) of audio/music. That in essence is what tweaks in this forum are about. And it is my hope that readers and writers in this forum will share them with explanation.

>>>That’s not what I’m saying really. Look, tweaks, tweaks of all kinds, by and large are a known quantity, maybe not to you specifically, but to most audiophiles who, if they have not actually bought them have at least read about them. A tweak is something that improves the sound. It is or should be predictable. It should also be verifiable. It should be repeatable. They should be reproducible. In this regard tweaks should be treated scienfically just like components or cables. I.e., a Black Box. Since we’re interested in the effect on sound quality of the Black Box, we shouldn’t prejudge the thing before all the test results are in.

Having said all that, obviously you don’t have to look around too hard to find some poor guy somewhere who complains he can’t hear it, whatever the device in question is. We already know that.

As far as explanation of tweaks go, as I’ve said on previous occasions, ‘tis probably best in certain cases for manufactures not (rpt not) to provide explanations, or hazard an explanation, for their tweaks as it can oft come to no good, leading to lots of accusations uncontrolled tongue wagging. Besides, contrary to popular opinion, Audiogon is not intended to be a forum for peer review. Sorry to shatter any of your illusions or hopes for the future. 

Well, back in the 1950's I was building mono tube amps and FM tuners with my Dad. Since then the hobby has come a long way. There is a lot to be said and most of it has been, tweakers and non. Tweaking is important as far as the room is concerned and gawd I spend time doing that, but in my opinion (and it ain't humble) you need a good source and good speakers. I listen to vinyl and will spend a lot of money ($17K) on a cartridge and TT to help it track. If that Porsche had crappy tires it wouldn't stay on the road right. If I have a cheap TT and cart I'm not in the track right. Speakers next, then electronics to match the speakers and sources. $2000 cables are a waste. Simple.