How much do I need to spend to get a preamp that sounds better than no preamp?

Hello all.
I'm using an Audible Illusions L1 preamp and I think my system sounds better when I remove it from the signal path. Oppo BD105 directly to SMC Audio DNA1 Gold power amp. I have read that there is level of quality you need to hit before there will be an improvement in sound. I can't seem to find what that level is. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Ben
honashagen
As far as Oppo direct to Amp, I am told by someone who should know that the digital volume control on the Oppo produces a signal that is not lossless. I tried Oppo to amp a couple years ago and it sounded better with the preamp (Classe SSP-800) in the circuit.

@georgehifi The direct drive amps I will use won't have output transformers and will put out 5000V to the panels. I've heard them in another system and cannot believe the clarity. It's really scary. Also, good for you for calling out McGowan and that BHK preamp. Which leads me to this: Seriously, we're quoting Paul McGowan around here now? Things have gotten a bit worse on this forum than I suspected. BTW - IIRC Paul's former partner Stan Warren designed a nice passive/active buffer in the early days of PS Audio. In my opinion they were a better company back then.
The direct drive amps I will use won't have output transformers and will put out 5000V to the panels.
Same, drive esl's from the tubes 5kv, mono blocks to keep the speaker wire short as possible, the trany's I mentioned were for the power supply side of things.
I heard a pair of 57's driven like this and it was amazing, they had a pair of Magnat MP-02 Plasma tweeters from 12khz up. I now own them also and they are on my Monoliths from 12khz up. Same as these.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnat-Plasma-MP-02-ion-tweeter-massless-air-plasma-speaker-Plasmahochtoner...

Cheers George  
leotis
I am told by someone who should know that the digital volume control on the Oppo produces a signal that is not lossless.

Correct it’s not lossless, If you had to used that digital domain volume control below 75% of full up because it was too loud, you may very well have started to "bit strip" the resolution, from 16bit down to 14bit to 12bit to 10bit ect the lower below 75% you went. The only way out of that one is to have a passive in between and leave the Oppo digital VC up full.

Cheers George

From Oppo tech:

The BDP-105 players will not lose resolution since they are 32-bit DACs. So they are the ideal solution if you want to go direct to an amplifier.