Better than my 32" Sony Wega XBR?

I would love to go to a flat panel tv. But, I have not seen anything (I've tried the ususal retail outlets) that can compete with the image quality of my Sony Wega XBR. Every flat panel tv of any kind that I have seen a) blacks out shadow detail, and b) and suffers from artifacts.

Have you found any flat panel at ANY price that has the kind of shadow detail in the XBR?

Have you found any flat panel for less than $5000 that beats the shadow detail of the XBR?

I really like the idea of a flat panel. Jeff
jj2468
An SED TV would do the job. It's a flat panel AND it's CRT based. It's also ready for prime time. Unfortunately, nobody wants to bring them to market.
I have the 34" Sony XBR picture tube (16:9). The punk weighs 230 lbs. Never seen a LCD that touches it-even the new XBR 120 Hz "motion flow" flat screens.

BluRays from the PS3 are a dream. We watched cars a few nights ago. It was ASTOUNDING.
Many of the responses so far discussing the advantages over CRT seem to be centered on resolution and size. I have no doubt a 32" or 36" XBR can't compete in those areas, but is anyone here saying that their flat panel set - of any type - can better a XBR in the areas of color accuracy*, shadow detail, and consistent image over a broad viewing angle?

I know moving to a flat panel will be a series of tradeoffs, but if I can't get ~95% or better of the picture quality of my XBR in a new flat panel then (for me) I'm not sure it matters how big the screen is or how many pixels it has. Ideally I'd like it to be 100% or better.

*(assume either a professional calibration or an end user who knows how to do a decent cal job with readily available utilities)
Post removed 
The Sony 34" CRT series, #'s 510, 910, 960, 955 were all flat, rectangular, and outstanding! No longer made but the beauty is these amazing machines can be had for as little as $300 on Craigslist and Ebay, get 'em while you can!