concrete slab vs/ wood floor - pros and cons

Audiogoners, given the choice, with sound quality being a top priority, which choice is usually better?

I have been given the green light from my wife, bless her heart, to convert our stand-alone 1935-era garage into a dedicated music/theater room - woo hoo!! The fact that it's a separate structure will be ideal for playing loud movies whenever without bothering anyone in the house. The space is roughly 11.5 x 17' and I think it will make a terrific intimate theater. It's completely unfinished inside and has a sturdy stucco exterior. It's a very solid structure. However, the concrete floor has some large cracks lengthwise due to settling so it is pretty crowned in the middle. If I keep the concrete, I will need to build a floor over the slab and shim it quite a bit to level it out enough to install the underlayment. Headroom is limited as the walls are just over 7 feet, although the roofline peaks at just over 10' in the center, enough height to hang my projector.

If I removed the concrete, then I could dig down and build a normal floor over wood joists with a nice hollow space underneath. My house is built over a crawlspace with hardwood floors and I like the quality of bass and overall sound I get in our living room. The downside is that it would be more difficult to convert the garage back later to use for parking a car if we move. I was thinking it might be cool to design this type of floor and then have space below for insulation, wiring, etc. without sacrificing any height. Maybe the floor could even be designed as a sort of bass trap to help with the sound. Any thoughts? -thanks, -jz

john_z
Jaffe, I could not agree more. Good thing we are only getting incorrect input for a 200sq.ft. detatched structure! I am afraid I have to add that most of the audio advice is in the same league. Wasn't always this way here... "Those who can, do, those who can't, teach", fits these forum sitters. All one has to do, however is look at the profile and see if the advisor is a member with all the answers and no questions, as well as the extent of trading feedback. Thanks for the help! Z.
I find the advice regarding our hobby very helpful here on Audiogon. It has helped me immensely in building my system. IMO advise/comments regarding how different building materials/methods may affect the sound of one’s stereo or home theater is very appropriate here on A’gon. The point of my previous post was only to infer that IMO it is not appropriate to give advice regarding repairing or modifying the structure of one’s home without first physically inspecting the structure and then only if you are qualified to do so.
Jaffe, "qualified to do so" is/was my point as well. Plumbers tape for shear is just one example. Clearly, an unqualified bit of advice, that if followed, would have led to a bit of pain, had the OP followed it. I'm sure you cringed as well. The forums are now somewhat populated by "professional" posters. IMposters if you ask me. How this or that worked for me, or how this or that "might" work for you, is more appropriate, as you stated. I agree. Thanks. Z.
The point of my previous post was only to infer that IMO it is not appropriate to give advice regarding repairing or modifying the structure of one’s home without first physically inspecting the structure and then only if you are qualified to do so.

I cannot agree more.
Well! Now that makes three of us! Do I see a trend here! Gump, you gettin all this? Troll away was it? Ha ha!! Z.