How much do I need to spend to get a preamp that sounds better than no preamp?

Hello all.
I'm using an Audible Illusions L1 preamp and I think my system sounds better when I remove it from the signal path. Oppo BD105 directly to SMC Audio DNA1 Gold power amp. I have read that there is level of quality you need to hit before there will be an improvement in sound. I can't seem to find what that level is. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Ben
honashagen
I’m over you. Go back to your F5 with high gain active preamp and keep pushing it, because you can’t use this Aleph L when it’s at it’s best in passive mode, only maybe after 3 o’clock, and as Nelson says you’ll take a sound quality hit.

And please stop putting **** on the man, your not his **** ****, and never will be.

Cheers George
Post removed 
kosst, when you design and implement the manufacture of an amp that is competitive with FW, maybe, and only then, maybe, will I ever take what you say seriously and worthwhile to read. So, like many other posts of yours on various threads, keep convincing yourself of how smart and wonderful you are. Enjoy ! MrD
Post removed 
Give it a rest, it’s like you get on your horse, when you got a few shots of something under your belt, and that turns you into some one that just need to create angst.

Leave it alone no-one is going to believe you over Nelson Pass about his own product the Aleph L, any thing you say against him is immediately swept under the carpet by anyone with any sense.

Cheers George