Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
“The best is the enemy of the the good.”
 I have some 10,000 combined records and CDs, but am paralyzed to play any one of them until I find something that sounds the way I want it to.  It’s insane how the hi-fi compulsion takes over at times.
 Of course, the music’s the thing, but the ogre of sound gets in the way when you’re an audiophile like me as well as a music lover.  
If you let it.
Alas!
That's why I buy BIS Cd's and now buy only old Vanguard LP's from the 50-60"s , the sound is always good because these companies never made
a bad sounding one .
Vanguard was run by audiophiles and has most natural sound I ever heard .

Schubert,

I’m listening to the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto with Chung on Spotify right now.
 It is a gorgeous performance.

btw, In case anyone doesn’t know, One doesn’t have to buy CDs any more to hear virtually any extant recording in CD quality sound:
 If you buy and hook up the Chromecast Audio device (about $35) and you have wi-fi, all you have to do is access Spotify on your iPhone or tablet, and Voila!, you have the entire range of the extant recorded catalog available to you. If you don’t want commercials on Spotify it just costs you $5 or $6 a month.
The sound is almost identical to the actual CD although nitpickers will hear a difference. But, for the price .......
Technology is amazing!

I am sorely tempted to throw away all my CD’s anyway and just keep about
500 LP’s . With old age and small condo + one of better classical FM stations that’s all I really need , if that .

I believe one of the most important things I have learned over 8 decades is that you can really own nothing , but things can sure own you .

Re; Chung , so glad you enjoyed it . I heard the Montreal live 3-4 times in the 80’s and how glorious they were !
IMO , Chung is one of those "force of nature " musicians , not just born to be one, but with the music itself seemingly somehow infused in every atom of her being .
Her nothing less than heroic fight back from all her health problems has actually helped me as an example with the "mini strokes" I have had .
Heard her several times live recently on FM , perhaps not the technique of old but an even better true musician !
Now listening to Danil Trifonov, the best of the "youngsters" IMO
His Carnegie debut recital of 2013.
From the DG jacket:
The main programme of his Carnegie debut recital presents
the quintessence of the tradition to which he is heir:
Chopin’s 24 Preludes op. 28 (1839), Liszt’s Sonata in
B minor (1854) and Scriabin’s Piano Sonata No. 2
“Sonata-Fantasy” (1897), a chain of Romantic works
with a kindred spirit, by composers who were themselves
all piano virtuosos in their own right.