Warner and Blu ray?

I just saw on the net that Warner Brothers is backing Blu ray in the ongoing battle of dvd formats. The saga continues.
south43
blu ray downconverts/outputs to 1080i
I have a ps3 and soon a Pioneer BDF95

the latest pioneer plasma mentioned at their press release will be a 2009 release with ultra black blacks -extreme contrast

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/07/hands-on-with-pioneers-extreme-contrast-concept-plasma/

they took a time elapse picture of it and the current Kuros
to see the amount of light emitted in the blacks

wow, this looks worth waiting for!
I can't speak for that Pioneer, but when my 720p-native LCD RP gets a 1080p signal, it doesn't acknowledge it. It will transfer, upconvert, or downconvert (as the case may be) 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i. Feed it 1080p and it simply won't show anything.

Both my 1080p-capable Oppo and 1080i max Toshiba HD DVD player have adjustable resolution in players' setup menus. I set 'em both to 1080i. If I set the Oppo to 1080p, my TV gets confused until I set the Oppo to something it can read.
What gives with beating up on Sony?? They took the punches with Betamax, which WAS a superior product to VHS. Now they have another likely superior product but are marketing it effeciently. BTW, I don't work for them.
I have used and appreciated many Sony products over the years - TV's, DVD players, VCR's(yep, Beta and VHS), Projectors, game consoles, Cam-corders Walk-man, computers, Projectors, and more! I have, however not been so fond, personally, of their rentless persuit of owning the world, as it seems. Or at least they always seem to want to corner the market, and make you have to buy their stuff, somehow -comes across that way to me anyway.
I guess other companies are not so different. It just always appeared that Sony was just that much more forcefull about trying to corner all their perspective markets, and even shut out the competition if it could.
Oh well, you take it as it comes. Needless-to-say, Sony has and does make some very good products. That, there is no denying.
Great products, great advertising, REALLY agressive and competetive business and marketing strategies!
Why do I feel sad that Blue-Ray is the winner? Something in my heart says that HD DVD was supposed to win, for some reason. I'm sure it's simply non-sense. But it probably won't matter much, as digital media storage is the future anyway. People will simply stop buying discs, likely. And they'll wind up downloading all their movies and music, like we do with music now on Ipods.
Oh well. Something inside of me says Sony shouldn't have so much power and market share in some technology! Maybe I'm just paranoid