Y No YG ?

Hi Everyone, 

It just occurred to me that I never see YG Acoustics mentioned. With exotic cabinets and driver manufacturing, I would think they'd be discussed as often as Wilson, B&W or Magico. 

Personally I haven't heard them, but I like their brochures! 

Best,

E
erik_squires
@almaaudio

Hi! 

Glad you chimed in! I don’t think you need to use expletives to correct misinformation, but your points are well taken.

In the US at least, I’m not a big fan of how reviewers buy loudspeakers anyway, but that’s for another thread.

Personally, based on specs YG are crap. If you disagree, please send me a pair to my home address along with a complete set of tube amplifiers from CAT to .... << grin >>

Best,

E
Hi Erik,

Well, I'm sure I can provide you a pair of suitable YG speakers, provided sufficient funds are given in exchange :) 

Good call on the CAT, BTW. I bet they'll sound great on the YGs.

cheers,
Alex

co93, 

This liveliness is one of the remarkable things about the YGs. If you just go by the quoted efficiency, you'd think you'll need a ton of power for them to even start singing. But with modest power, at modest volumes, they're already very lively and rich sounding.
And this is the reason why, no cabinet stuffing:
http://cdn.exiteme.com/exitetogo/www.yg-acoustics.com/userfiles/files/PDF/Technologies/YG_FocusedEli...

cheers,
alex

I heard the YG Sonja 2.2($76K) with modestly priced Auralic equipment at Axpona.  Really the best sound I heard at the entire show.  Super transparent but an extremely involving sound.  I could probably afford the Auralic equipment(even though 6 amps were used) but the speakers and speakers cables(Kubala-Sosna) will never be within my reach.
I'm fortunate enough to own both the YG Hailey and Avalon Eidolon Diamond and I swap between the 2.  IMO both speakers belong to the "modern" "cool" school of sound.  The YGs sound like electrostats when playing easy programs at moderate volumes, even when driven with moderately powered amps (say 50W tube and 100W SS).  But to get them to really bloom and sing you have to "skip the next rung" and go with mega high current amps that are unconditionally stable yet sweet sounding.  If you think a 150W to 200W amp can play it full range, then you are missing a whole lot of potential from the speakers.  Placement is wickedly difficult because the bass is definitely lean.  The Hailey is supposed to be a full range speaker.  Not quite, when compared to the similar sized Eidolon Diamond.  But the truth of timbre and texture it reproduces when driven properly gets it right at the level of Focal Utopia  Bes without the noticeable mid-bass hump and sluggish lack of pace of the Focals.  In my far from perfect room was able to get pretty good results bi-amping, and adjusting the bass amp to be about 2-3dB higher in gain than the main amp.  With that combination I can play the Haileys loud enough to fill the room and have enough authority and no thinning out.