Moving from MM to MC

I have a Shure M97x cart and it's been fantastic, but itching to test the waters with MC carts. What is the biggest thing I will notice once I switch?

BTW thinking of getting the Denon DL 103 for around $220. That a good bang for the buck under $300?
bstatmeister
I started with the 103 and enjoyed it very much,

I also upgraded my phono stage to a Simmaudio Moon LP5.3RS. This upgrade brought out the very best from the Denon - it is not hard to see why this cartridge was chosen by broadcasters the world over for decades.

But in search of improvements - I moved up to a soundsmith modified version of the Denon 103.

The step up was well worth it - the SS 103 is superb and will compete with much more expensive cartridges. It is very detailed, without scarifcing any of the Denon 103 qualities. Maybe something to try once you’ve had time to appreciate the Denon 103.

If you are just getting into moving coil - the only thing I might recommend for the SS 103 version - opt for the Eliptical Stylus - it is easier to setup than the more advanced stylus profiles - they require extreme precision and a mirror-style protractor and loupe - and a younger pair of eyes :-)

But as Cleeds posted - what arm are you planning to use it on - I had to used a brass shim to increase the overall mass in order to get the very best performance from this cartridge. I am using an Audiomods arm - similar to a Rega WRT mass

Regards - Steve
You will notice a decrease in sound quality.
Please elaborate on this. You don't like the Denon or you prefer MM style carts?
Nonsense! The Denon 103 mc's are true classics (and in production since 1962!). They are the best sounding cartridges under $500 of any type! My experience with the 103's goes back to 1977 when I heard one paired with a Levinson JC-1 headamp - mounted on a Denon 307 arm on a TOTL Denon DD TT. A FABULOUS sounding setup! And the price of the 103 then was $160! Today I own several of the series - 103, 103R, 103 Gold Anniversary. I find them eminently musical and satisfying!
Everything I've researched indicates this. Really seems like a great deal and a good starting place to jump into MC carts. Thanks for the feedback!
It's really impossible to offer you a meaningful suggestion without knowing more, such as what pickup arm and phono preamp you will be using with this cart.
I am currently using the TCC TC-750 from phonopreamps.com and I have to say that I really don't have any complaints about it. For the money I couldn't ask for more. Noise floor is dead silent and I am getting incredible detail coming rom my records. That being said, I have never heard a true high-end phono-preamp so ignorance is bliss?

Here is the rest of my set-up

Mains: Vandersteen 2C
Turntable: Technics SL1200 MKII (I got this brand new right before they ended production around 2010)
Tone arm: Stock with the turntable from Technics
Cartridge: Shure M97xe
Preamp: Using an Onkyo TX-SR805
Amp: Behringer EP 2500 (This is a pro Amp, it provide loads of power - 1200 watts per channel with a giant toroidal transformer, but it was quite loud with the stock fan, so I did a fan mod, now it's as quiet as a mouse)

If I upgrade to the Denon, I mighty start out with the MC phono section from the same site: https://www.phonopreamps.com/TC-760LCpp.html
it says it competes with the NAD at the relative price point.

Thanks for your feedback