Borderpatrol Dac SE

I've been seeing this DAC mentioned a lot everywhere lately, hearing that it performs way above its price class, etc.

I took the leap and bought one.  Mind you I've only broken it in for 48 hours but I'm at this point I'm not sure it will ever open up.

So far it has really soft and closed in treble with no air or decay.  Mids are okay, bass is a little soft without great definition or extension.  Imaging is ok but feels a little confused.

To be honest it's getting smoked by my current Fostex HP-A8.  The Fostex is the design antithesis of what's gaining traction:  a delta sigma AKM chip.

Owners:  does this thing ever open up, or has the Sopra unmasked another pretender?  If this is "analog" sound, I think I'll pass the next time I hear that descriptor.

System:  

roon
Sotm Sms-200
Perla Audio Sig 50
Focal Sopra 2
emcdade
Quick update:  it no longer sounds broken, and now sounds broken in.  Hard to believe how much better it sounds frankly.

I'll post more details tonight after I've gotten to know it better.  First impressions are that it's got good musical flow, nice full bodied mids, but still lacking in air and treble refinement.

@emcdade- can you tell us what you've concluded after having had more time to run in the Border Patrol DAC?
TIA.
I ended up returning it thanks to Gary's generous return policy.  No complaints about the DAC in general, it just didn't work in my setup.  My amp is a little sweet on top to begin with and the BP sweetness pushed it over the edge.

I'm starting to feel Dacs are a little overrated in my setup, or I just really like the sound of the Fostex.  I have a Directstream dac in house now and really the Fostex is just as resolving and smooth.  To be honest I experienced a much larger jump in sound quality moving from PC to SOTM renderer than I have with any DAC.  Ymmv

Post removed