too bad Audiogon seems to have morphed to fussy, picky buyers

For years I've bought and sold here with no drama but that seems to have been changing. Now sellers seem to want retail pricing for their products while wanting to low ball on anything they want to buy.

At the same time I see more and more fussy buyers nitpicking the purchase, requiring tons of hand holding and concessions after they buy a fairly represented good working order item. 

No longer fun for me unfortunately.
128x128cowan217
I spent 40 years in the Real Estate business. It always amazed me when buyers wanted to start nitpicking and renegotiating their deal half way through escrow. It was especially bad during my last ten years in the business. I just chalked it up to the constant slide downward that our civil society has taken.

The days of doing business on a hand shake are long gone. 

Frank
I agree with the sad state of the used market sellers.

I've been a part of this site since it began almost 20 years ago.  Buying and selling always went smoothly, and with almost zero issues.  I've even met people who've become friends by way of transactions.  Audiogon used to serve as a central cog in the market, funding additional new and used purchases by a large number of folks.  Two to three years ago, I noticed something happened, and the entire thing mostly shut down.  I have no idea how the manufacturers have survived, as again, this site primed the pump for the engine.

Haven't sold much over the past few years, but wanted to dump a bunch of gear over the past couple of months.  The audacity of some of the lowballers surprised me even as I've received hundreds of lowball offers over the years.  How about a $50 offer for a current production component that retails for close to $5k, with several other $200 and $300 offers?  No thanks.  As others have said, I'd give it to a friend, family member, or young person with some interest, or even on Craigslist before that.

One person actually began contacting me, and continues to do so.  He explained that no matter what the ad lists, even if it's below market value, he won't go beyond 70% of that asking price.  His initial bid is always 20-25%, and he's willing to work up from there.  Ironically, he ended up paying over $4000 for an item I listed initially for $2500, as I found a buyer I felt more comfortable with.

Best was a guy with ZERO feedback, and a member for just a few months who lowballed me, eventually came together on a price, never sent payment, berated me, disappeared, reappeared with another lowball offer when I reduced my asking price, I demurred as he gave me a bad feeling at every juncture, then sent me a lengthy email claiming I'm a fraud, and my "stellar" 18 years of feedback was a complete fabrication, made up of shills, fictional transactions, and some folks I conned and some I paid for
This thread reinforced my decision to buy sell locally,  shipping is a pain.  So many Pay Pal scammers.......
Is it your experience that this is the case on other sites such as US Audiomart and Audioasylum, or is it mostly an Audiogon phenomena?

I’ve been a member since 2001 and have not listed anything in years.  I have a tone arm and some power cables that I would like to part with.  Since Audiogon instituted their new fees, I pretty much lost interest in selling.  These reports of idiot buyers further reinforces my inclination to not list items for sale.

On the plus side, I’m happy with what I have.  The extra stuff can just live in the closet for now.