Wilson Speakers & Reviewers

Gents;

I've been reading a lot of reviewer system lists over the years.

Why do a lot of them end up with a Wilson Speaker

They do not appear to be the most resolving.........
Or is it Peer pressure ? Or magic ?

opinions?

jeff

frozentundra
@frozentundra - Dude, 8" of snow?  Two words; Move South!  Too cold for my blood - supposed to be 95F here tomorrow ;-)
As for being vehement, I am, but only insofar as defending one's right to a preference, and pointing out the folly of relegating dissimilar preferences to simple ignorance on the part of the holder.

@astewart8944 - Wilsons can definitely grab your attention.  For some, the attention doesn't wane, but for many others it does. A buddy of mine came over when I bought my Sophias and he was really impressed (his speakers at the time were B&W 804s), so much so that he had to go out speaker shopping.  He came home with Sonus Faber Cremona M's after auditioning them side by side with the Sophias.  He and I think both are great speakers, we each could live happily with either, we prefer a different one.  That's why I've been clear that I'm not promoting Wilson speakers, or making any claims of their superiority or inferiority relative to other speakers.

There are a great many very good speakers out there that I'd be satisfied with - many if not most are more than I paid for mine, and more than I'd choose to spend.  But there are many (e.g. Paradigm Studio 100 V5, Triton 1, etc.) that provide an incredible amount of performance for reasonable money as well. Each to their own.
Cordesman uses the Legacys and Alexia 1s as his 2 references. Check out his reviews of both.
I doubt that Wilson is or will be in trouble as mentioned herein being left behind by higher tech speakers companies. If they continue to move forward as they have on their mid priced Vyvette among others they will be just fine. It defines musicality and pure listening pleasure. It’s built so well that I never consider the cost just pleasure provided. 
Crazyeddy:  It’s true, they were a pita to set them up out of the crates, but my dealer put them together.  I have had them spiked, but put them back on their casters, so I can easily reposition them, as I’m constantly experimenting with their placement.  However, once they’re assembled, they’re easy to move. I agree-1/4” either way, makes a huge difference, but most speakers are that way. I’ve done a lot of moving the upper portion, as far as the vertical axis goes.  It’s a labor of love though.  How large is your room and have you finally settled on a particular position, concerning distance from the walls etc?  Did you set up the upper portion, as the book recommended?

Handyman: Yes, I followed the correct upper cabinet set up as outlined in the manual. It didn’t seem right to me, so I tried different angles, but quickly went back to factory recommended settings. I guess the good folks at Wilson know what they’re doing ! LOL. It took me quite some time, maybe 2 months or so, of position tweaking to get that sweet spot that works for me. I jacked them up and removed the casters/installed the spikes. The problem now is the difficulty in trying other speakers, as the Maxx’s are just so heavy and hard to move. I do bring my Watt Puppy’s out every now and then, and place them beside the Maxx’s, and listen to them for a few days, but the placement is far from optimum. I just have to live with it, I guess. I do have a picture of the Maxx’s placement in my room, on my "Virtual System" if you care to have a look. I did not see any pictures on your profile. Wouldn’t mind seeing how you have yours placed, if possible. You also mentioned that yours are easy to move on the casters, once assembled. I assume that they are on a solid floor? Mine are on a thick pile carpet, and even with the casters, are still a real bear to move around.