Golden ear triton 1 vs tekton double impact speakers

With so much positive information about both do you have a preference? Have you heard both?
tooth2th
Post removed 
As a fan of the triton series and owner of both the fives and ones, I am very interested in hearing thoughts about the double impacts. From personal experience it's unwise to get trapped into a "my speaker is best mindset" so I love to try new things that come highly recommended by fellow audiogoners.

I'm particularly interested in the tweeter array, which I've hear resembles the dispersion of good old horn loaded speakers. Has anyone been able to compare the sound to horns? I'm a long time fan of horns but don't like the large size and aesthetics. The even higher sensitivity than the tritons is also appealing since I really like sound of 300B tubes. Has anyone tried the DI's with low powered SET amps?

As far as the tritons go, I have found them very forgiving with regards to placement to rear or side walls. The most important thing I have found is getting as close to a right triangle as possible, with the tweeters pointing just behind my ears. Interesting that a lot of people above preferred them with SS. I tried a couple SS that weren't by any means spectacular and preferred tubes. Push pull amps gave more pleasing and realistic colors to the sound, but with muted dynamics and slower energy. Then I tried the line magnetic lm-518ia 845 SET and it really seemed to bring the best of both worlds. Of course what I really mean is it fit my personal preferences and, to me, made the tritons the most lifelike.

That being said I would still like to try the tektons, and if they are indeed as similar in strengths as it sounds from others comments, it would make them an even better bargain.

Hunter
The GE's aren't the product of a DIY'er feigning professionalism badly. That's a convincing selling point to me.

That’s the least convincing selling point I’ve ever heard. It’s feigning a rational appeal. Badly.
^ Sandy Gross doesn't even qualify as a "DIY'er." Even though Eric makes some outlandish claims, at least he has some real engineering cred.
Well, maybe I'm a little late to the conversation, but...  I quite recently had the chance to purchase a used set of DIs with the upgrades, and between all the reviews and hub bub, and the killer price, and my sickness that has me swapping perfectly awesome gear to try new stuff, I jumped at it.  And I must say; no regrets!  I think that all good speakers have their ideal sweet spot -- paired with the right electronics, in the right room, with the right music.  For me and my music, the Tektons blew me away.  

My system is in a really large space -- a great room with vaulted (23') ceilings.  So I need some juice and speakers that will throw sound, have a large sweet spot, but still allow for critical listening in the "perfect seat".  I originally paired them with Red Dragon Leviathan monoblocks, and they performed admirably -- great detail and extension, and very nicely balanced, high-to-low.  Then I paired them with a set of 845 monoblocks that push 50+ w/ch, and WOW, did they ever sing.

I've owned some pretty nice speakers in my day, including a couple "world beaters" like Vandersteen 3a Sigs, open baffle designs, Audio Physics Virgos, Thiel CS5i, Zu Audio -- to name a few.

The speakers that they were going to replace were a pair of PureAudioProject Trio15Voxativs -- fantastic speakers indeed.  Here's how I'd sum it up.  The open baffle architecture of the PAPs fills my large room with luscious sound, giving me the sensation of being mid-concert hall.  The Tektons put me in the 5th row.  More slam, easier to place instruments on the stage, better extension on both ends, and more detail (microdynamics?) without being etchy.  Where the Tektons really shone (shined?) was on small ensemble jazz, and acoustic rock.

Now, I realize that a lot of my perception might well be attributed to The "shiney new toy" syndrome, so I dragged a few friends -- listening buddies -- over for a glass or two and a listen.  It was unanimous; the Tektons were regarded by all as the best speakers we'd ever heard in my system.  Chet Baker/Bill Evans, Joni Mitchell, Jason Mraz, Dave Brubeck, Stephen Stills, Jason Isbel, Father John Misty; all just brought my room to life through the Tektons like we'd never heard before.  And for that matter, Zeppelin II sounded better than I ever remember hearing it also. 

So, now I'm in a quandry.  Looks like I'll be selling off some excess gear b/c I've found my listening Shangri La -- until the next urge hits me.  But for now, I can whole-heartedly recommend the Tekton DIs.  If they can sound this good in my shitty/non-ideal environment, then I'm dead-certain that they'll make a lot of people happy.  My only hedge would be to recomment that you treat them like higher-end speakers, and pair them with the gear that one might intend for much more expensive speakers.

Happy listening!

j