Speakers "Disappearing"

I have read a lot about speakers "disappearing" so that one can't tell from where the sound is emanating. But, what about all the stereo tunes where the recordiing engineer intentionally pans the music to come from one side or the other? Can the speakers be made to "disappear" in that situation? Or, is it just the nature of the particular recording?
rlb61
@milpai ... I most definitely agree with you. In my 10x10x8 tiny man-cave, it’s critical to get the measurements on both sides of the room as close to each other as possible.
rlb61 OP234 posts03-24-2018 12:28pm@georgehifi ... thanks. I looked for "DJ 37 Sampler" instead of "Vol. 1." Unfortunately, it’s a digital download only and I’m a CD dinosaur.
I’m sure you can download it on this computer your on, then burn it to disc?

Cheers George
I'd have to think the better ones ears are at localizing/pinpointing a sound source, the more difficult it becomes for the sound source to "disappear". The lessor the total number of speakers, the easier it is to detect any particular ones location. And of course the recording, the room/environment, the particular type/design of speakers and their placement certainly play a role. 
Post removed 
I can't speak for ALL speakers but for every pair I've had over the past 30+ years, which coincides with when i started paying attention to such matters, placement counts very much in contributing to the disappearing act. With my current speakers a 1/16 difference in the toe in makes a big difference. Totally agree with Milpai. Cabinet enertness  also counts so i agree with kosst as well.