Oppo 970 sounds better than HDDVD player on DVDs?

Hi all,

I have both an Oppo 970 and RCA HDV5000 HDDVD. I had been using the RCA in the main system to watch both DVDs and HDDVDs, using the digital output into my Sony DA4ES receiver. I was at that time using the Oppo in the bedroom to watch some DVDs on a TV we have back there.

I decided I wanted to put the Oppo in the main system so as to be able to get into some DVD-Audio and SACD listening.

But since I had the Oppo and the HDDVD player connected via component to my Mits TV, I thought I would compare the picture quality on regular DVDs at 480p(the Mits has no HDMI input). It turned out that, at least to my eye, the image quality was a bit better with the Oppo.

But what astounded me was that reciever-decoded 5.1 movie tracks seem clearly superior with the Oppo. The sound is clearer, dialog is more intelligible, musical instruments sound more real, the surround channels are more active, there is more dynamic impact to transients. The movie experience is definitely better with the Oppo.

How can this be? I would have thought both players would be sending the exact same digital stream to the receiver. The only difference is that the Oppo is connected via coaxial cable, while the RCA is connected via glass optical cable. Could the cable differences explain this difference? I have been told that for movie 5.1 audio, it wouldn't matter whether I connect with coaxial or optical.

Any ideas? One thing is for sure. That Oppo is a bargain.
mtrot
I've got my eye on the Oppo DV-981HD, which can read/process HDCD-encoded CDs, SACD, and DVD-A, and on the video side has Faroudja DCDi. Read about it here.
Has anyone heard the Modified Oppo units that cost over 1,000 dollars to Mod? I would like to hear peoples opinions on if it is worth it to pay and modify those units
Detroit1,

I'm currently inquiring with Ric Shultz at EVS concerning his Oppo mods. Ric has a great reputation as a manufacturer/mod'r spanning many years. Also, If you send Ric a brand new unit, he will offer a 30 day trial period.

Oh, his basic mod is $350, goes to $440 with the plus mod and you can add the Superclock4 for an additional $350.

Check out his site at tweakaudio dot com

Enjoy,

TIC
yes please do let me know if you demo the modded Oppo units

has anyone tried the Reference Audio Mods versions of the Modded Oppo units?

they charge more money than EVS
I connected the HDDVD player via coaxial and did some more comparison of audio quality vs the Oppo. I don't know if my ears were playing tricks on me originally, but with both players connected via coaxial I can't tell much difference.

I auditioned The Hunt for Red October(DTS) and Star Wars episode VI, as well as some audio CDs. There may be just the slightest bit more spaciousness to the sound with the Oppo.