Two Type of sound and listener preference are there more?

In our thirty years of professional audio system design and setup, we keep on running into two distinctly different types of sound and listeners.

Type One: Detail, clarity, soundstage, the high resolution/accuracy camp. People who fall into this camp are trying to reproduce the absolute sound and use live music as their guide.

Type Two: Musicality camp, who favors tone and listenability over the high resolution camp. Dynamics, spl capabilty, soundstaging are less important. The ability for a system to sound real is less important than the overall sound reproduced "sounds good."

Are there more then this as two distincly different camps?

We favor the real is good and not real is not good philosophy.

Some people who talk about Musicaility complain when a sytem sounds bright with bright music.

In our viewpoint if for example you go to a Wedding with a Live band full of brass instruments like horns, trumpts etc it hurts your ears, shouldn’t you want your system to sound like a mirror of what is really there? Isn’t the idea to bring you back to the recording itself?

Please discuss, you can cite examples of products or systems but keep to the topic of sound and nothing else.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ
128x128audiotroy
The question is why the gear that is praised by the studio people as closest sounding to life performance, like Benchmark, is called analytical or sterile.  I think that we learned to listen to particular sound that carry certain amount of distortion, noise and coloration while sound closest to life performance is not to our liking.  We like it there, at the venue, but we expect something different at home.  I've read audiogoner's complaint that gear is too resolving and that instruments should not be separated but sounding "together" like a sound blob.  Sure, sound with some distortion and noise can sound more, as you call it, "musical", but shouldn't we learn to listen?  It took me a while to get used to how clean the Benchmark is, but now I think it is very emotionally involving.
It took me a while to get used to how clean the Benchmark is, but now I think it is very emotionally involving.

I don't think that I have ever left a concert at a music hall and thought about how clean the music sounded or how every instrument seemed to separate from the ensemble. To me, that just sounds unnatural and colored...music without the harmonics...the meat stripped from the bone.  

Why would I want to listen to a system live, bright or whatever, which makes me wince and my ears bleed?

All I want is, like my system, to have music which sounds alive, "present" yet with a "natural" tone as I call it. Like my TungSol 1958 5687 in my line stage: dark and juicy, unlike a 6H30P which sounds hard and bright. There's the piano, there's the drum, there's the upright bass, there's the lead singer of the Cowboy Junkies. Ahhhh. So rich and full and melodic, and I don't care that I didn't hear the guitarist pass wind.

Yes, listening to a brass band makes me wince which is why I don't listen to a lot of music with brass instruments. Equally, I don't want Joni Mitchell's voice and piano playing to sound thin and bright.
From the technical stand point an amplifier cannot strip harmonics, unless its bandwidth is very limited. It might not add additional harmonics, that make sound warm or dynamic. Warm, cold or
 natural - there is no right or wrong either way.
rnabokov, sure, avoid it, if the harsh metal dome tweeter makes your ears bleed, but we are not talking about overly bright sound at all.  Benchmark is not bright at all, but it will allow you to to hear in the background, instruments that were just the "sounds" before.