Experimenting with Speaker Room Placement

Hi - was having troubles with my room, which is 12 wide by 20 long, so logically I was thinking put the speakers on the shorter 12ft wall and sit back about 11-12 feet so I'd have more room between listener and the speakers. But tried my PSB towers, PSB bookshelfs, Bose Bookshelves, JBL bookshelves (and tried PSB sub with each) and that placement was always boomy bass and fatiguing sound. Just didn't sound right. 

So I tried setting up speakers on the long wall, the 20FT wall. It looks odd since I'm sitting pretty close to the speakers, about 7-8 Ft vs. 12 Ft, and the speakers are right up against the wall, and my listening chair is right up against the opposite wall. But it's more listenable, and bass seems tighter. Both the floorstanders and the bookshelves sound better. 

I'm still trying to purchase a new pair of speakers for this room (the other speakers mentioned were just borrowed from other rooms and from my home theatre setup). 

So wondering if others have experimented and found the long wall is better? It's more of a near field listening experience and looks odd having large towers that close to the listener. Would this position get fatiguing after a while? Should I treat the back wall with something since that wall is right behind my ears? What speakers are you using that seem to work well in this type of close listening setup?  If I place the speakers back on the shorter wall, is my issue that I need bass traps along the shorter wall to tighten the bass? 

Thanks very much for any guidance!  

kansas400
As far as rugs go, there are numerous decorative plush throw rugs of many different sizes available at Home Depot or Lowes or at a Carpet retailer.
As for speakers, I keep reading and hearing good things about the Larsen speakers in situations like this.
Good luck on your journey.
Post removed 
Buy Jim Smith's book Get Better Sound.
Read it, then read it again.
Get your positions of speakers and listening seat established.
Do room treatment.
Enjoy how much better your system sounds.
Enlighten others.
So you pulled the speakers out 5 feet and noticed better "clarity."  I assume that means the bass was less boomy and the sound was better balanced overall?  What is telling you side reflections are still a problem?  How far are the speakers from the side walls and how much are they toed in?  These two variables alone could go a long way to fix sidewall reflections if indeed they are causing a problem (see below for more).  What areas still don't sound right and what are you still looking to improve?  The more detail you give, the better advice you'll get here. 

As as far as going to bipolar or omni-directional speakers to deal with room issues, this seems a bit extreme IMHO. First you need to see if that type of sound, which is different from direct radiating speakers, even appeals to you.  As others have mentioned my our room does not sound overly problematic as it's very similar to mine and others here, so you should be fine with a little more help and effort. 

BTW, to find sidewall first reflection points and treat them, sit in the listening chair and have someone stand with a mirror against the sidewall near the left speaker.  Have them face the mirror directly toward the opposite (right) wall and walk directly along the left wall toward you, and when you see the left speaker in the mirror that is your first reflection point of the left speaker that you can mark with painters tape or whatever.  Keep moving mirror closer to you from that point and when you see the right speaker that'll be the first reflection point of that speaker on the left wall.  Repeat same thing from the right wall.  Try temporarily hanging a piece of carpet in those locations to see how it helps (or you can put something like a bookcase there as long as it's high enough).  You can follow the same procedure to identify first reflections from the ceiling and floor as well, which are also important areas to identify and potentially treat (a carpet or area rug usually takes care of the floor -- ceiling's a bit tougher aesthetically speaking). 

Again, I find long wall vs. short wall is very much a personal preference thing (assuming your room and speakers can work both ways) and you'll probably find yourself finding one or the other more personally satisfying pretty easily between sonics and how close you want to sit to your speakers.   FWIW...

tomcarr
Buy Jim Smith’s book Get Better Sound.
Read it, then read it again.
Get your positions of speakers and listening seat established.
Do room treatment.
Enjoy how much better your system sounds.
Enlighten others.

Whoa! What?! Back up! The speaker locations will change as you apply room treatments. That’s because the dynamics of the acoustic waves changes as you treat the room. What you have to do is use the speaker location track of XLO Test CD. Then you will be able to find the single absolute best speaker locations, assuming a given listener location, not some guesswork.

However, as room treatments progress the 3 D dynamics of sound changes. That’s why you have to re-establish speaker locations every once in a while with the XLO CD. Trying to find the absolute best speaker locations without the XLO Test CD, trying to do it by ear, is like trying to solve 3 simultaneous equations in 4 unknowns. 😬

In any case reverse the order of establishing speaker and listening positions and applying room treatments shown in the previous post.