Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
jcazador and rvpiano,

I saw Pogorelich twice. The first time he played the Prokofiev PC #3. He made the piece look ridiculously easy and looked bored as he walked onstage and as he left. He played the piece with consummate authority.

The second time was a recital that included the Don Juan Fantasy. It was stunning to say the least. He is a remarkable musician who definitely goes his own way. Among other recordings of his that I enjoy are his Beethoven Op. 111, Bach, Prokofiev and Chopin Etudes. All these recordings are on DG.
I also attended several sessions of the inaugural Ivo Pogorelich Piano Competition in Pasadena, California some 20 years or so ago. I actually got to meet him there, shook his hand and had him sign a commemorative poster of the event, which now sits framed on a wall where I live. He was quite pleasant. The competition attracted many outstanding pianists from all around the globe. I'm uncertain as to whether there was another competition subsequent to that one.
For Schumann lovers out there,  there’s a remarkable set of his symphonies on the Audite label, with the great oboist Heinz Holliger as conductor.
i have many versions of the symphonies but this is, by far, the best, musically and sonically.  Highly recommended!
Well, that's me all right. I'll be on that !
 Heinz Holliger was the greatest player , on any instrument , I have ever seen live .
The best Schumann symphony I ever heard live was the "Rhenish"
with Masur / Gewandhaus at home base .

I never thought the DG set with Gardiner/ORR  would ever be surpassed
but would be glad to  be wrong .

A couple of recording that I think worth mentioning in case someone is looking for something rarely heard but in both cases are very accessible neo-romantic music typically released by Chandos. I'm glad to have them in my collection.

Symphony #2 by Randall Thompson (and other works by George Chadwick) Neeme Jarvi and the Detroit SO. Beautiful American symphonic music all. Chandos 9439.

Kara Karayev - various symphonic works - highly influenced (I think) by the major Russian composers of the late 19th and early 20th century  very engaging and very Russian. Chandos 5203.