What's your investment threshold?

This question only goes out to those like myself who enjoy the system gains running better cables bring.  Non-believers can save their money and comments for another thread.

Do you impose on yourself a percentage range for cable spending relative to other components?

Speaking for myself, I do consider cables to be a component decision worthy of budget, but I seem to have stayed in the 10-30% range of what I've spent on other components.  I can't see spending $1k for a cable on a $1k component for example.  I have spent $1,500 for speaker cables for a $6k amp.  That seems nearer the high end of my range but it still fits. 

I realized I haven't planned this as a hard rule, but that's kind of how this has worked out for me over time.  Anyone out there think a much higher percentage is justified?  I won't argue because these improvements are worth all the enjoyment you can get, so more power to you.

jsm71
The basic premise of these being “investments” is wrong.   these are all expenses, not invest,ents
"+1 dfwhip "
so well said, almost poetic.
My system at 10k s/hand, cabless at 2k s/hand, but it's also about the number of components to be connected. For me is 3x IC's and speaker cables. S/hand offers me great value, components run in and realistic resale value. I generally buy to keep.
sdj888 - thank you, glad my comments resonated with you. 

Secondhand equipment is indeed a great option to consider when building a system. Besides being very cost effective, it also helps keep the high-end audio industry going because it helps fund another person's upgrades. My system is a mix of new and used. 
The basic premise of these being “investments” is wrong.   these are all expenses, not invest,ents

I disagree.  Per Wikipedia:  In general, to invest is to allocate money (or sometimes another resource, such as time) in the expectation of some benefit in the future. 

The expected benefit for a financial investment is money.  The expected benefit for an audio investment is improved sound.  I invest both money and time toward getting better sound.

I like this logic.  I invest in booze - my future benefit is to feel good.