speaker cable prices

I read plenty of articles on the demise of high end audio and have been an enthusiast for 40 years and worked at a high end retail chain for ten years back in the 90's. I still own several systems and buy and sell gear to keep tweaking my systems. Nonetheless I'm pretty shocked at the prices of cables in particular- I look for a decent pair of speaker cables to run from a Pass amp to a good pair of speakers and can hardly find a pair of 8 ft cables for less than $1000- most are commonly 2-3k for a pair of cables. 

Is it me or is this ludicrous? 

What are people buying for an average pair of cables ? Can a pair be had for $300?
128x128cowan217
I am a big fan of Anti Cables. They made an instantly audible difference in clarity and presentation. I think Paul Speltz is really onto something. I'm use them with a PS Audio Stellar gain cell dac and  Stellar amp.
I'm hooked and use them for speakers, interconnects, and power.The price is reasonable and Mr. Speltz stands behind his product. 
there are many dozens of well made cables under $300. you need to try them and decide which you prefer and if the more expensive one's are worth it to you...
geoffkait, you endorse Goertz cables because they understand wire directionality.  Can you explain how wire directionality exists with AC current since it travels in both directions?
Hello to all who have posted on this thread. I have reached out to AudiogoN support, and understand it is ok to post here about our products. My name is Rob, I own and operate Audio Art Cable.  We sell direct to consumer.  You can find information about our product line-up on AudiogoN, and at our website, audioartcable.com. Custom lengths, custom termination options, and longer length cables are not a problem. Please message me directly if you would like to know more about what we do, or if I can be of any assistance with questions, or recommending something for your system.
azbrd
geoffkait, you endorse Goertz cables because they understand wire directionality.

>>>>>Actually that’s not exactly what I said. I said I endorse Goertz cables. Period. Then I added, plus they understand wire directionality.

azbrd
Can you explain how wire directionality exists with AC current since it travels in both directions?

Yes, it’s because you only hear the part of the AC signal that’s traveling in the direction toward the speakers. We could not care less about how the part of the AC signal traveling toward the wall outlet sounds. So, ideally, the “poor sounding direction” of a wire should be toward the wall outlet, no? The sound you hear will be different depending on how the cable is oriented. That’s why Goertz, Audioquest, Anti Cables, and many others mark their (unshielded) cables with arrows. Shielded cables are another separate issue, sort of but not entirely - because if the manufacturer is smart he would control directionality if the wire in shielded cables too. It’s also why Audioquest controls their new power cords for directionality, you know, even though power cords are obviously always used in AC circuits.