The ups and downs of tube vs. SS...

I’d like to hear from the people that have had both. Why tube? Why SS? What are the ups and downs of both? How does owning one or both differ? I’ve always owned SS, but also lusted after tubes....
jtweed
128x128jtweed
atmasphere - yes!  That was the show & yes, I felt that the fi 2a3 monos did sound best; however, every amp sounded pretty amazing to me. 

Quite a bit of stereo celebrities in that room that day.  Actually, at the time, I was just getting back into audio as I took a couple years off when I became a father 4 years earlier.  On that day, I purchased a Creek 5050 int amp from Listener magazine's Rob Doorack that he brought with him that day. 

I was so amazed and impressed with what I was hearing that day, hence my name a'gon name Lou_setriodes!  
Like dorkwad, I have the solid state NuForce Ref 9 V3 monoblocks with new power supplies modified by TDSS, but combined with a vintage Conrad-Johnson PV 11 tube preamp.
I agree, the Ref 9’s are pretty amazing especially when coupled with the sweetness of the tubes in the CJ.

Impressive power in a velvet glove!
With the caveat that I have only owned low power SETs, tubes sound better than SS - in general. However, there are clearly very good SS amps (Bakoon, First Watt, for example) and not-so-good tube amps. As noted may times, speaker matching is more critical with low-power tube amps. Also I have had technical issues with both tube and SS amps.
I've been a pro musician for over 40 years. Played many tube & solid state amps and own both types of stereos. I've learned that everyone hears things a little different. One person thinks their gears sounds the best the other person says, hmmm I think it's too shrill on the top end. When I record in the studio I'm always amazed at how different my songs sound on different speakers or amps, etc. Every component makes a difference. If you find the right combination for your ears you've done something that is very satisfying. Often it's a journey not a destination! I love my all tube (preamp & power amp) but I also love my tube preamp & solid state amp. Both systems offer beautiful, pleasing audio. Experiment, go to audio stores and audition, purchase gear that can be returned within 30 days, after you've tried it. It's the same with guitar gear. You can just go on other's recommendations. You have to experience it to decide which you prefer. Happy hunting!
atmasphere & kosst_amojan   
Both make compelling and sensible contributions on this subject.

Excellent choices for solid state do exist. I know for certain that you would have to pry my Sutherland N1 preamp from my lifeless hands.  
Same goes for my EKSC Eagle 11' mono blocks.  Vanishingly low distortion including all harmonics.  Neither the preamp or mono blocks have any real personality or flavor.  Just unrestrained performance.
It just boils down to system matching in some cases and of course personality for which we all have abundant choices.