Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
I didn’t bother with that in this case. I am a trained listener and do this every single day, listening for changes, problems, nuances. Been doing that for 42 years. I don’t doubt my conclusions. I made business decisions based on them.

You are welcome to doubt them if you want. It’s still a free country, at least last time I checked CNN.

Hi Steve. I’m not doubting you at all. As I stated, I was just curious if you could blind test. I'll take your response as a "no". Given everything I’ve read from you over the years on the forum, invariably you have all the answers and the "best-of-the-best" gear and technology at play. Happy listening.

I don't believe I would win shootouts, get best of shows, Golden Ear Awards and rave reviews if my stuff wasn't decent.

If I was located near other audiophiles, I may do blind-testing.  It's difficult to do with deer, coyotes and wild turkeys...

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

Crikey, In the small time I have been on this forum, each thread seems to degenerate into mine is bigger than yours arguments. I thought this was a means to exchange ideas and to help fellow audio lovers. I appreciate that there are contributors with real expertise out there, but lets not allow egos to degenerate friendly and spirited help and ideas. I have contributed to about 3 threads in well meaning contributions and each have been shot down, in my opinion, rather rudely. May be that's the US way, but we don't do that in Australia. Please lets be civil and well meaning in our conduct, or I'm out of here.
Please lets be civil and well meaning in our conduct, or I’m out of here.

+1

I absolutely agree with you amg56.

But, being civil and well meaning in our conduct includes you too. You mayn’t go around questioning ones intelligence, simply on the basis of a forum post.