Modwright PS 9.0 and 9.9 Power Supply Rectifiier Tubes

After extensive listening to more than a dozen different rectifiers, I concluded that my Phillips 5R4GYS, 1949 RCA 5U4G, and 60's Mullard GZ32 5V4 were superior in the PS 9.0 and 9.9 to any 5AR4/GZ34 I have tried including NOS Mullards and the Phillips metal base 5AR4. The RCA 5U4G and Mullard 5V4 are pretty close in sound quality, and both are more articulate and natural sounding than the Phillips 5R4GYS. I also picked up an NOS 1944 Tung Sol 5U4G (not the 5U4GB) which by a small margin (lower noise floor) was the best rectifier tube I had heard in the Modwright PS 9.0 and 9.9 until the new Sophia Electric blue 274B arrived in today's mail. This special 274B is designed to be a direct replacement for the 5U4G (and substitutes). I started listening to it in the PS 9.0 and right out of the box it produced the most natural piano tone I have ever gotten from my system. With about 30 hours on it I am comfortable in saying that it is the best sounding rectifier that I have ever heard in the PS 9.0 and 9.9.

Jeff Day has reviewed this tube for Positive Feedback and on his "Jeff's Place" blog for anyone who is interested.
128x128cellcbern
I have found the Sophia a tad bright on my Modwright Sony SCD 5400es.  Very open with beautiful stage depth, but a little too high frequency tilt.  I recently replaced the SE with what I believe to be a late 50’s Amperex.
I replaced the stock Sovtek 5AR4 with a new production cryogenically treated Gold Lion rectifier.  Also placed a Herbie Audio Lab rectifier damper on it.  Sound is very clean with smooth treble, tight bass and open soundspace.  Not comparing my experience to your's @cellcbern, but so far I'm enjoying the sound with the G-L's.
OK, just got my tubes in from Sophia Electric. Richard talked me into trying the EL34 tubes as well. I told him I just want a rectifier tube but he said try them and then send them back. Ha ha, I will not be sending anything back. These are the absolute best new production EL34 tubes I’ve ever heard and after a little break in might best my NOS Mullard XF2. I know this is a PS 9.0 rectifier thread but I had to mention it and I haven’t even installed the 274b but it’s next.