High End Ethernet Cables ....Real Deal or Snake Oil

Digital streaming and network-based storage systems are now mainstream. I have notice more and more cable companies are coming out with 'fancy' Ethernet cables ranging from $25-$2500. 

Purist Audio, Cardas, Chord, Wireworld and Stealth Audio to name a few.  I am assuming, AudioQuest is probably the first manufacturer to recognized the potential for a fancy Ethernet cable and started this trend (sorry no offense to anyone). 

Let's for a moment assume that there is a audible difference in sound quality when streaming music files from a NAS or intranet to a server. Ethernet is an error corrected transmission protocol, it is going to be bit perfect. Are these fancy cables banking on the same principles of other digital (SPDIF/XLR) cables ~ a well made cable reduces the margin of errors resulting in less requests for re-sends, and if there are less errors and subsequent re-sends, perhaps this higher performance results in less noise, fewer dropouts at the receiving end, and subsequently better sound quality?

I do not know a lot about networking so I chose an easier path to stream music in my rig. My setup involves a music server, DAC and Apple Extreme base. 

I am wondering how many of you using a high end Ethernet cable vs. a generic Ethernet cable. 

Is there a test data or device that tells us how many errors and re-sends happen in Ethernet data transmissions to justify the use of uber 'pricey' ethernet cables? 

Thank you all for your feedback! 
128x128lalitk
jinjuku,

do you think that your test involving one higher priced ethernet cable proves that they're all "snake oil"?
if they're over buck per foot, they are snake oil and that's where simple math kills all super smart science of Al.
It depends what people like to wear.
Fancy network cables are similar or just about same as fancy shoes, jeans, dress, jewelry.

Sir, thank you for a good chuckle. 
Dealer perspective. 

First we have purchased way more expensive etherenet cables then we have sold because we have heard the difference. 

We have heard differences between AQ and Wireworld cables and we have heard differences between levels of these products.

On direct system connections there absolutely are audible differences.

The thinking that some people expouse ie bits is bits isn't the case. 

We did one demo at a clients home all Naim system with an SDS server and swapped out one just one Wireworld ethernet cable and the sound stage got bigger and the overall clarity of the entire digital system improved.

The problem with the methodology of the above test gentleman with the youtube video, is I don;t hear him talking about listening I hear him using measurements. 

If you think measurements can tell you the story in terms of what you can perceive you are way off.

Pour a glass of ripple, a glass of a good $20 bottle of wine and a $1,000 bottle of Chateau Lafeitt.Roschild into a gas chromotograph and see how much difference the test gear will tell you, water, organic compounds, machines can't tell the difference you can obviously taste the difference.

Do you want to know how we test?

1: Plug streamer into router or switch with standard cable
2: Play 1 min of a track 
3: Switch cables listen to what changes

If you have a system with good resolution you can easily hear the difference.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ