Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Matt - Any update on the performance of the Mojo DAC since you've had it warming up for a week now? I believe it was a reviewed model so it should have already been burned in and just required some time to settle into your system. Thanks and keep up the good work!

I read that review of Steve's incredible ODSX and Plaskin calls his QX5 a bit forward.  I don't get that in my system at all and I have an Ayre AX5/20 running it.  If a recording is mastered forward, then it will give me that. If it's not, then it won't present that like many others will.

You have to ask yourself, if there is no depth to the recording, can a DAC synthesize depth?

I think it's kind of like asking the DAC to deliver detail in a recording that is not there.

I think it is more likely that the improved depth is the result of a better D/A.  The ODSX is more expensive, so you should expect that.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

Do you think it just has to do with adding more layers and chances to mess up the signal?  If not, why do you think it's like that?  Why wouldn't they offer a bypass to go purer?

Volume control is a check-box that every playback software must have I guess.  I think there might be some that believe it's a liability to have a volume defeat/bypass button because some users might think the volume is active and set low and then blow-up their speakers because it is actually bypassed.  I'm sure that coloring the sound with volume DSP is not intentional, but I have heard it many times, more times than not. 

At shows I have used DSP equalizers and crossovers and they always seem to color the sound, even when they are set flat.  I avoid them now for that reason.  I think the least coloration I have heard from an volume DSP is Amarra, Sonic Studio.

I believe that many manufacturers don't have resolving enough or low-noise systems that they can tell whether their DSP software is coloring the sound or not.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

@audioengr 

Hi Steve,

You mentioned the ODSX review. Can you point us to it? I couldn't find it doing a quick Google search and didn't see a link on your website either.

For those of you following along, Steve's DACs ARE special. I've heard them at least a few times at Newport and I still remember how amazingly clear and pristine the sound was, just beautiful. Not analytical in any way, but also not lacking in detail or air. If you get a chance, check his gear out. You will be very pleasantly astonished.