TV gives me a headache when its on; any suggestions?

i'd like to have shows on in the background, but i find if the bugger is playing, my playback suffers (stage compression by way of higher noise floor) and i get a headache.

apartment dweller, btw. 

whatdyoudo?
128x128rhyno
Stop watching FauxNooz and you'll feel relief almost instantly. Probably even pick up a few IQ points, too!

TV sound is already (still) compressed. You can try using a limiter/compressor for TV which can be set up to gate and then compress as it walks up to the limit you set, which can be soft or hard-kneed. IN a small place, knocking dynamics out helps a lot and it makes the sound of TV fuller. Some TVs also have SETTABLE compression rates, as do bluray/dvd players. Play with those. Set them too aggressively and they'll pump the noise up like a rerun of Rat Patrol!

For video, I use a Swiss Army Knife device, and it's TV, so true hifi is hardly a worry, a Behringer Ultrafex, which does a bunch of cool things. The model has been updated and expanded greatly over the years. For a couple hundred bucks, it's a great all around toy, can be useful as a noise reduction, an expander, peak unlimiter, soundstage toy, limiter, compressor, eq and some other stuff, and that's just my box. The newer stuff is far more crafty.

Behringer is a pro-audio company that doesn't rip people off. Sure, sure, there are better devices in every category, but they are like hifi: double the cost for a few percent more performance, unless you find there is a feature you must have.

It's cable news and talks shows and junk. Process the crap out of it and make it palatable.

Behringer is a good deal, lots of bang for the buck without trying to find and modify a mint dbx 119 which I used to have as my original go-to TV audio fixer upper until it was stolen.

Oh, and the Behringer stuff has knobs! Menus, too, but knobs! Who knew! Don't worry, it can be done.
I'd suggest you get a copy of "Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television" by Jerry Mander and you will have your solution.  But wait until the Winter Olympics have concluded!  :-)   Cheers.  
But wait! Would this mean no more football emanating from the tube? Really? No more football??
rippie sez:

• "Stop watching FauxNooz and you'll feel relief almost instantly. Probably even pick up a few IQ points, too!"

Right you are lad. Make the switch over to CNN and within a matter of a month or two, you too can become a blithering idiot.

Frank
I went to the Doctor and told him it hurts when I do this, Doctor replied THEN DON'T DO IT