Does anyone like vintage speakers?

I am surprised that there is a renewed interest in vintage electronics from the "golden age" of "HiFi". But I see little interest in period speakers. Without the speakers you really can't recreate the sound.
mechans
I don't know what Apogees sound like, but they appear to have qualities associated with current high end and would not make "vintage sound".
The sound is hard to describe and KLHs differ from Advents (not by much) which differ from ARs etc. The real older speakers that were golden age do not resolve or have the ability to sound stage that modern speakers do with very rare exceptions. I think of Electrovoice Patricians, big Alects, JBL Hartfields as prime examples. When used with the old electronics there is a certain sweetness and listen-ability. Tannoys are also on my wish list and unfortunately every other vintage collectors list, Check out the price that a good pair of vintage Tannoy command on ebay.
I myself inherited some basic 1959 JBLs which use a driver that remained in oem use as the F-131 as the primary driver in the Greatful Dead's "Wall Of Sound". They sold the set up to Dave Mathews who used it well into the 90s. That speaker was designed in 1948, the same year Paul Wilbur Klipsch produced the Klipschorn which many still use and remain in production today although vastly modified,Thanks for all the responses.
Rackon reminds me that my very first pair of speakers were JBL L99s, the "large bookshelf" ones which had 14" woofers and wood fretwork grills. When I bought those what I really wanted were the B&W DM2s (see my post above) but I could not afford them at just over 3 X the cost of the JBLs. A few months ago I saw the DM2s on eBay and couldn't resist making a 30+ year old dream come true. I expected them to suck but---surprise!---they sound darn good. I consider them second best of the five pairs I currently have on hand by a very small margin.
Ahh' the speakers of yester`year, being a big notch above average or current "Circuit Pity" types go unrecognized by the consumer masses & thereby diminished their availability at affordable prices. The market and ((**consumers )) literally turned a deaf ear. A deaf ear to even caring that
their next stereo system was no longer coming from a specialty audio source , but hypnotized by the appliance stores which were ultimately becoming audio outlets `as well. (**opposite `the minor populaton of audio advocates
who knew & appreciated the difference.)

Typically, these guys knew more about washers & dryers and refrigerators, so the buying public was presented with only needing to know "what's the cheapest you've got & does it sound o.k.?" Then having this mentality compounded by the rise of the locally hyped, soon to be national sales commercials that screamed at you `during dinner,...
( "Buy Here! Buy Now!!, Folks -you can't beat the deals we've got for You!" ... and for a limited time ONLY, you get this free home entertainment center with with every purchase of our new line of vacuum cleaners! ) ----- sound familiar?
And considering that most of these 'ALL 'n ONE Appliance Stores' were backed by corporate franchises and their big lot-buying budgets, the local independent audio shops were burdened to meet overheads, quotas, & additionally, the ever increasing pressures applied by contracts which pushed the requirement to promote ONLY the very name-brands to which they were obligated. / EX: the sales rep comes into "Joe's Hi-End Audio and says, "you have to display our speaker line as your primary' & move your ADVENTS to the rear of the sound room, ...like they're doing for us over at (*Ward-Elkins, Tipton's, & SILO Appliances), or we will pull out",(*the stores which later became Circuit Pity, WORST- BUYS, etc.)

I guess the way to have summarized would've been to use the existence of the stereo receiver bohemuths of the late 70's, because they're a perfect example & result of (all of the above). You had such as the producers of the heavy receivers having to downsize in Quality in order to survive financially to maintain their share of the changing market.
Eventually, this would cause the price gap between mediocre and 'high-end equipment to be ever increasing. The higher level production & finesse of the good stuff became reserved for a new minority seeking specialty audio.

Hey, I've typed enough to rival a Dennis Miller rant ' ...
but that's just part of it! / so long for now'
Greg, "Spkrfiend"
Erm, Greg, audio specialty stores, at least when I was shopping in the 60's - 70's to around 1980, peddled tons of receivers, from modest little 20-50 watt jobbers to the behemoths you mention. Not just junk, but classics from Scott, Fisher, Marantz, Luxman, Yamaha, Harmon Kardon, Kenwood, Pioneer etc. Yeah, I agree there was a lot of high watt garbage starting in the late 70's but there were some perfectly decent sounding receivers as well, especially since so many speakers weren't as resolving as they are now.

I dunno if it was the appliance stores that killed audio...I seem to remember a lot of big ol' stereo consoles in appliance stores in the late 50's and 60's.

Beemerrider, I'm glad you've found bliss with those B&Ws. Nothing quite like achieving the dream. I bet they sound better than my old ARs do now.

Those JBLs could rock though!
Thanks, Rackon. When I bought the JBL Lancer S-99s I compared them with the ARs and thought the former were clearer and more open sounding. That was about the extent of my listening expertise back in c. 1972.

This weekend I'll be getting a pair of Tannoy Little Gold Monitors that utilize the 12" Monitor Gold Dual-Concentric drivers. These are early to mid '70s vintage. I'm having fun with this old stuff but think I will be keeping my Tyler Linbrook Monitors as my primaries.