Class D is just Dandy!

I thought it was time we had a pro- Class D thread. There's plenty of threads about comparisons, or detractors of Class D.

That's fine, you don't have to like Class D amps, and if you don't please go participate on one of those threads.

For those of us who are very happy and excited about having musical, capable amps that we can afford to keep on 24/7 and don't require large spaces to put them in, this thread is for you.

Please share your experiences with class D amps!
erik_squires
This is all great discussion but doesn’t it come down to your ears, budget  and preference for the love of music. Budget and listening preference will ultimately be the deciding factor. If person A has a budget of 50 - 60k he’s not looking at Class D period in of story. I went down the class D route a few years ago when I first purchased my Maggie’s and told I needed a amp with at least 300wpc. So I ended up buying an Audio Research DS450M monoblock amp that put out 600wpc into 4ohm load. At the time for 12k and looked like a pretty good way to go, but after a few years of trying to recreate the sound that made me fall in love with the Maggie’s I knew the amp was my problem. Could it play loud an emphatic- yes, did my Maggie’s produce an audible sound - yes, was it musical to my ears, I would say no. But again that’s preference. I was mislead by dealer and the internet that led me to believe that Maggie’s required brut power it wasn’t until I decided to let my ears be the judge and bought a class A amp that puts out a whopping 95wpc. I’m not saying class D is bad I’m just saying that for my system and listening preference I went class A.  
This is all great discussion but doesn’t it come down to your ears, budget and preference for the love of music. Budget and listening preference will ultimately be the deciding factor.

Yes, oh my Goddess, it’s like we are twins...
If person A has a budget of 50 - 60k he’s not looking at Class D period in of story.

Oh, wait, what????? I disagree. Just because I have x amount of dollars doesn’t mean I’m going to spend it. My goal is not to spend $x, it’s to spend as little of $x as I can and be happy with it. If I’m happy with $x/10 then that’s all I will spend.

To do this however you have to give up the notion that price is any sort of arbiter of performance. I no longer believe this is the case. If you feel that the market value expresses your desire, then make yourself happy. :)

Best,

E

But again that’s preference. I was mislead by dealer and the internet that led me to believe that Maggie’s required brut power it wasn’t until I decided to let my ears be the judge and bought a class A amp that puts out a whopping 95wpc. I’m not saying class D is bad I’m just saying that for my system and listening preference I went class A.  
What was this 95w linear Class-A amp??

Cheers George
Bel Canto Design REF600M was the Absolute Sound co-amp of the year and second place Stereophile for amp of the year, behind the $99K Boulder. The Bel Canto Black EX amp is even better.