Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Thank you Frogman for your reply. Louis sings on this one also, as you would say, with the gravel in his voice but notice the quote from Duke Ellington on the beginning of the clip: "He was born poor, died rich, and never hurt anyone along the way."

I haven’t read much of his biography, if you don’t count what I’ve read along the way, but if he has such a reputation, so I admire him more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyLjbMBpGDA

On ’new sound and recordings’

I am probably not the right one to make any judgement on this one but looking from my personal perspective (there I can babble as much as I want still staying ’alive’ while doing it), mostly what I hear in ’new jazz’ I find a bit sterile (as if music is too clean). One could say that I haven’t heard much so cannot be competent but still what I hear is that a song sounds as if it could have been completely computer generated without human involvement - this I do not feel when listenin’ ’old jazz’. I guess too much technical work on piece of music kills the fun.

Pryso, there were some questions about LP's from Rarewaves.com Ltd. The LP I have is perfect; I just scrutinized it a second time when I down loaded it to the hard drive.

Not only is the LP without noise scratches and pops, but the jazz is outstanding; it's from a time when Blakey and The Messengers were on fire.

Bass – Jimmy Merritt*
Bongos – John Rodriguez* (tracks: 2 to 10)
Congas – Tommy Lopez (tracks: 2 to 10), William Rodriguez* (tracks: 2 to 10)
Drums – Art Blakey
Engineer – Tom Nola*
Piano – Bobby Timmons, Duke Jordan (tracks: 3)
Soprano Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone – Barney Wilen (tracks: 1, 3 to 9)
Trumpet – Lee Morgan (tracks: 1, 4 to 9)

That guy Barney Wilen blows a mean sax, he fits right in with Blakey and the messengers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw_8i22pBcs

I'm overjoyed that I bought the LP.