Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Looking forward in reading more posts from you as well- mary_jo

Happy Listening!
OK, recently, if not on this page, we had requests for new/current albums.  I admit to not owning any of these but pass along this list in the hopes others may find something of interest here.  It comes from my local, college FM jazz station.  They play a wonderful blend of that "classic" jazz discussed recently as well as recent and new releases.  This is their "best" list for 2017.

http://www.jazz88.org/articles/Top%5FTen%5FDiscs%5Fof%5F2017/

Also if anyone is interested in streaming their broadcast find link on that page.

Yes frog, that should not have been a challenge for any aficionado here. ;^)

rok, thanks for the link to the performance of Basie's music.

Lastly, I just had to add that I ordered tickets to a special performance of music from this Mingus album.  The promotions at the time claimed it was his favorite among his recordings.  So, top musicians out of NYC and performed at one or our best sites for acoustics (<300 seats), how could I not attend?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdQVI4zTp_I

Pryso, that was one of Mingus's best. All of his albums were so original that you always thought, "There is no way that he's going to ever top that", but he still managed to come up with something better the next time.
*****Top 10 List of 2017*****

Excellent list.  A lot of names I know and Love.  I will have to check out the CDs listed.    Thanks for posting.

Cheers