Do I need a sut?

I purchased an Ortofon MC2000 cart from a fellow A'Goner, it is very low output .05mV, my phono pre is a Herron VTPH-2 which has 69db of gain and my pre is a Herron VTSP-3a(r02) 14db gain.
The cart sounds wonderful, but with such a low gain I have to turn up the volume by quite a lot. If I had, another source at that volume, I wouldn't be able to stand it. With the volume turned up so high I get a fair amount of noise between tracks. 
Should I be looking at an sut or just live with it the way it is? I found an Ortofon at a decent price, it has 24db of gain. Would that be ok to go into the mc input on the VTPH-2? The mm gain is 48db, if I plugged it in there I would only gain 3db(if I'm doing my math correctly) I will also be contacting Keith, but I thought I would ask here too.
Thanks
Jeff
jdodmead
@jmcgrogan2 

Still, I believe that any SUT is designed to be plugged into MM inputs, though I could be wrong.
ONLY MM (47k Ohm) input, right 

Most MC stages are simply MM stages with SUT’s built into the preamp. So I don’t think you should plug a SUT into another SUT.

No, high gain MC phono stages with 100 ohm input (without transformers) are available from various manufacturers, some of them gives us optional loading, which is great. 

There are MC phono stages available with built-in SUTs too. 

Don't forget about the MC head-amps (pre-preamps) devices that are not passive SUTs, but an active devices designed to be used between the turntable and MM phono stage. One of the very best is ZYX CPP-1 headamp with 125 oHm input for MC. 

Regarding hum this is an issue endemic to SUTs and the T2000 is limited in the facilities it provides to manage this problem. My preferred SUTs from Music First Audio provide a ground lift option (in the case of some of the models including a partial lift via a load) that completely addresses all of the hum issues I have in my current multi-cartridge set up

MFA offer a version of their basic 632 model specifically for the 2000 series with a 1:100 ratio -- cost is $759. Anyway if you do go this way work with Jonathan at MFA and he will build you what you need. I'm sure Bob's can do the same
Anyone know about this one? Fidelity Research  XG-5 moving coil step up transformer with selectable input impedance.
Low - 3 ohm or lower 34dB Mid - 3-18 ohm 26dB High - 18-40 ohm 22dB
I know nothing about Fidelity Research and can't find out any good or bad info on this unit, it's as old as my cart.
Probably a "swing and a miss" but thought I'd ask.
The XG-5 is a pretty re-saleable SUT so if the price is right why not give it a try, you can always resell? The 34dB/3 ohm setting would work

Remember to budget for a quality pair of interconnects (of low capacitance as Al notes)

There's more helpful guidance including specifics on this model here
https://www.vinylengine.com/step-ups-and-mc-cartridges.shtml
I found one that's not pretty, but  a super price. It's worth a try, let you all know what I find out, it will be a few weeks(coming from off shore)

Thanks for all your input

Jeff