How does one (grow) as a music listener/lover?

Passion for music has to be first and foremost.

I, like many of you have had my greatest experiences and (new) musical experiences, solely because of my home audio system. If not for this "passion", then my acting on that passion in the form of a qualilty home music reproduction system, I would have never enjoyed the music I was always fond of, but maybe, more importantly, music I was now willing to discover. I believe this maybe the most important aspect, for me..this, newfound, willingness to discover music I never would have even given much of a thought to............

128x128slaw
Agreed- slaw
one has to step into discovery mode and check out many different sources
featuring new music. After all of these years, I continue to watch, Austin City Limits and listen to FM / Sat radio programming.  The net is helpful as well.
Happy Listening!
I just love the feeling I get as I am starting to discover new artist, new to me, that have gotten by me for one reason or another and the artist that come into play because of the discovery of that artist.
I think (this) may be the greatest contribution, that well reproduced music in our home systems has had. Period!

It's really all about the music............
Slaw - I might be misunderstanding your post but, for me, the gear has had little do with music discovery or a willingness to discover. Whether it was a transistor radio or a crappy little boom box, I’ve been hooked on listening to music from a very early age. Having a decent system makes the experience a lot more pleasurable and definitely reveals more of what’s going on in a given composition...but it ain’t critical. I’d be doing it with a pair of earbuds and a laptop if that were all I had.

I miss WXPN out of the U. of Penn. in Phila. Great source of adult contemporary and indie stuff. Having moved away from there, the Spotify Browse/Discover function has been a great source of new music for me. Also, I’ll yet again mention Richard Allen and the "A Closer Listen" website (a home for instrumental and experimental music). Can’t speak highly enough about this site.

Finally, I probably listen to a broader range of music now compared to 50 years ago but I’m also finding I’ve become increasingly fussy. Not bragging, not claiming superior taste or sensibilities...just seems to be harder and harder to find things that I connect with and draw me in.  Oh well...just got to keep after it. There's certainly a wealth of sources for finding something good...the various threads about music here on A’gon are a real blessing in that regard.