What are your thoughts about moving up product line(s) within a Company?

It seems safe to say that moving from a company's $300 bookshelf speaker to its $3000 + bookshelf gets you improvements.  But do folks have examples or opinions on doing this within a company's product lines?  

This is certainly a topic open a discussion as opposed to answering question.

What do you know or think here?
128x128jbhiller
I had two very positive experiences moving within manufacturer’s lines:

I had Thiel 1.2, followed by 2 2, and then 3.6.  All had similar signature and each move brought great improvements across the board....still miss the 3.6’s.

likewise, I had Audio Research LS3, SP16 and then LS26.  All three were more alike than different and each change was a terrific move forward.

So, similar products within product lines have been good for me.  That doesn’t mean I would necessarily enjoy Audio Research’s Class D hybrid amps, for example, because I like their line stages, a completely different product line, of course.

I agree that an in-home audition is the only way to know for sure, but having prior experience with a manufacturer, knowing the house sound and design ideals, is very helpful to me in choosing new equipment.
77jovian-

do you still own and listen to Thiel speakers? If so, join us over on the "Thiel Owners" thread. I am interested in reading about your Audio journey over the years. Musical selections/genres as well.
Happy Listening!
jbhiller-

I can attest to Transparent Audio cabling. As one moves up the MM2 series chain, you will be musically rewarded. I suspect other cable companies work this way as well.

Happy Listening!
I am lucky to have a best friend that sells and installs audiophile and videophile systems for happily wealthy.  That has allowed me to not only listen to some of the finest equipment out there, but also buy some amazing lightly used items,  I went through (up the line) some amazing Dahlquist speakers long ago. various Mac Pre Amps, Nak Decks, and buying Amps that were 'blessed' by Nelson Pass. So I am a Pass PreA and Amp guy.  I have been up the line with B&W speakers till my 802 D's and stopped. I have done the same with Bel Canto DACs till the 3.75 and stopped ( although the new Black intrigues the heck out of me ) ( Love my Wadia 521 DAC too ) .  I'm a Kimber Kable guy and have gone up the line with them too and never a bad result from Coax,to IC's to 8TC bi-wired speaker cables.. .  If anything I am loyal to certain brands and engineers because I have never been disappointed in their products or their service.  Live the dream and trust your favorites ( until they sell out to someone else ala Classe' , etc.  ) 
I like co.s that have been in business a long time and have good customer support.

e.g. Magneplanar, Vandersteen, Bryston, Audio Research and many others

I've had very nice components where the small, innovative co. was wiped out and then had trouble getting them repaired.

A vision pursued over decades, honing the SQ every several years counts too (see above)