Adcom?

Does ADCOM still make products and most importantly sell products?

I bought a amp/pre-amp combination (710 for the preamp and maybe 5300 for the stereo amp), and it was the worst electronics I have had in my house in 40 years, that is, beside NAD.
Both components started to malfunction majorly just after a few months (pre-amp volume control having a mind on its own, amplifier was discharging loud every couple minutes).
They both times promised me that they would exchange mine for new, so after agreement, I sent my gear back to them, and they sent it back to me with the same problems... we did that a couple times.... I think the tech guys were billing the department for new units, kept them for themselves, and sent me back the same crap untouched.
I could tell both times that the gear was untouched by adcom as I had marked the units on frames.

I feel like this kind of fraud is happening a lot, especially this time of the year when audio gear dealers offer "black friday deals", but in fact, they sell refurbished units thinking you won’t see anything.

Adcom, dealers selling refurbished as fresh from factory, thoughts?
128x128chrisr
Thanks, kjl, too bad Adcom didn't spread the word on the cfl bulb issue.  I actually communicated with them directly when I was considering whether to get the first pre replaced.  

As for turn on thumps, I think most of the older Adcoms did have a turn on thump because Adcom didn't have speaker protection.  On the current line up, I think it depends on the model, because I've noticed that their higher up models mention speaker DC Servo and OMRON 20 Amp speaker relay protection circuits.  At least the GFA 575SE.  

I'll be receiving the 555SE in a week or so and can report back, but I'm fairly sure it'll thump upon turn on.
My new GFA-555MS amp does not have the turn on thump, while my older GFA-5400 did.

I've been using a Hafler DH-200 for 39 years and it finally has developed problems. I want to replace it.

John Hillig is your man

http://www.musicaldesign.com/MC_AdcomAmp_mods.html

Ed, if the 555ms doesn’t have the turn on thump, then the 555se won’t either I expect.  Good to know.
If you had any amp for 39 years it had problems long before that, you just  don't pick up on it as it is a slow process that you become accustomed to .